will apple exchange iPhone "no questions asked" within 30 days?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndroidSUCKS, Aug 2, 2008.

1. AndroidSUCKS macrumors newbie

To exchange an iPhone bought at the Apple Store, do I have to do it within 14 or 30 days of purchase? some say 14 others say 30, what is it? i got mine 18 days ago btw.

on the middle of the screen I got something that looks like a tiny hair. it's visible only if the screen is white. since apple store may say i scratched it, but whatever. will they still exchange it?

2. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

A tiny hair that you can only see when it's white? Who cares...just leave it. It's a phone- not need to worship it. If you really feel that you can't live with it, go back and I'm sure they will exchange it.

3. AndroidSUCKS thread starter macrumors newbie

i hit websites and watch movies on it during my commute, so it more than just a phone. and if i'm looking a white webpage, for example, that hair-like line/scratch is really distracting. question is am i too late for an exchange, and is that a good enough reason for them to make the swap?

4. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

You're too late for an exchange (by strict standards), but it should almost definitely qualify for a replacement (repair). Go to the Genius Bar. The sooner you go the better, that way there is less of a question of when/how it happened.

5. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

It totally depends who you talk to. Some geniuses are pretty easy going about things and will swap out no matter how seemingly small the problem may be, others are sticklers for rules, and won't be as accommodating.
    This one idiot I got one time didn't even bother to properly look at my light leakage problem. All he did was examine the seam behind the desk, which would have made the problem next to impossible to spot. To his credit he did check some other phones.... but unfortunately also in the brightness of the store. And then he had the audacity to tell me that if I accepted his replacement, I wouldn' t be able to get another exchange if the problem came up again!

Does it bother you that much? If it does, then ya, I'd take it in though I think you may be getting a service replacement and not a new phone given that you're outta the 14 days, but those should pretty much be all new.
    If not, then don't worry about it.

6. Inukami macrumors 6502

Well the 30 days is only if you want to return your iPhone for your money and cancel your contract without an ETF. You can also return the iPhone within the 30 days and get another one for w/e reason but you will have to pay a 10% restock fee.

If your phone malfunctions or it breaks and you did not cause the problem, they have to replace it within the warranty time.

7. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

That's definitely true to a point, but if the hair is noticeable and you don't delay in taking it back in the rules are in your favor. If one person says no speak to his supervisor and keep going up as needed. I wouldn't suggest that if you were trying to take advantage, but you have a legitimate concern. Good luck.