Will Apple Exchange My Headphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spazattack674, Aug 20, 2008.

1. spazattack674 macrumors regular

I bought the iPhone 3G a week after it was first put on sale. I have been using the headset/headphones that came with the phone for train and subway commutes at a normal volume. I've been noticing that after only about 3 weeks of use, the right speaker seems to have feedback or a sound like something is loose and rattling inside the headphone. Will Apple exchange these for me at the genius bar? It's not like it's too much to buy another set of $30 headphones, but at that point, I would just buy the Shure adaptor to use with my Shure headphones which have much better quality.

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

i suggest investing in some higher quality headphones, its worth it trust me!!

3. spazattack674 thread starter macrumors regular

I know, I have a pair of Shure headphones that I love. However, for subway and train commutes, I like to be able to hear what's going on in my surroundings, and still want the button that the Apple headset provides. I will probably buy the Shure adaptor anyways, but I'm just wondering if Apple will replace the ones that came with the phone.

4. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

not sure if they will, worth a try if you have an apple store nearby.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Apple will replace your headset without a fuss...:(

6. spazattack674 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I'll just go down there, its about a 10 minute trip.

I talked to an online rep. at the Apple Store website and they said it's covered under warranty, so that should be fine. I might just pick up the Shure adaptor also.

7. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

Mine started doing the same thing and I was able to walk in and swap them out no questions asked.

8. spazattack674 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds great, thanks for the help :D

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

You will probably be the first customer they've seen in the past 30 days who didn't want a brand new phone. No doubt they will gladly give you new headphones, and probably a piece of candy.

10. spazattack674 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I didn't even think of that

11. Love Juice macrumors regular

why don't you just look up the number for the store you plan on going to, give them a call and ask :) better than wasting a trip to the store, unless you already plan on being there for some other reason. just make note of the person you talk to and reference their name when you go ..that is, if they say it's ok to swap it out.

12. spazattack674 thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose I could do that :)

It is just a 5 minute ride on the subway though, and I might want to look around and buy that Shure adaptor. Wouldn't hurt to call though ;)

13. spazattack674 thread starter macrumors regular

So I ended up going to the Apple Store on Boylston Street in Boston. I got there, made my genius bar appointment, and saw a "genius". I tell him about my bad headphones, and he asked to see the headphones. He put them in his ears (GROSS) and listened to music. He said he couldn't hear the issue. So we went through about 4 songs, and he still couldn't hear it, even though I could. FINALLY, he said "Well, I GUESS I'll replace them THIS TIME"

Ugh, that was ridiculous. It's not like I'm trying to get free headphones. I have much better headphones, and I just use these for the subway. He could have been nicer about it; I just bought the phone 3 weeks ago. I am usually a fan of Apple's retail store support, but this time, I'm not so sure.

14. clancemasterj macrumors regular

clancemasterj

If you have apple care, the best thing you can do is call them. I've had my headphones replace over 5 times and they don't give me any grief.

15. spazattack674 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, that's definitely something to remember for next time ;)