Will Apple exchange my iPhone 6 because it's too hot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheMBC, Nov 22, 2014.

1. TheMBC macrumors 6502

A couple days ago, I got very lucky when I arrived at a Target right when they had just received their iPhone shipment from Apple. They had one iPhone 6 64GB Gold (AT&T)—and I got it! I had been staking out for a week.

The first day it ran a bit hot, and I figured there was some initial background processes and it would be fine. It's currently the third day, and it still runs hot. I can't really ever pinpoint when, but I could just be surfing Safari for 30 seconds and it suddenly becomes too hot to even hold for the most part.

Is this a valid reason to go to the Apple store? (I don't even know what to do considering they might not have the i6 Gold 64.) Or has everyone's iPhone 6s been running this hot?

2. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

If, when compared to another iPhone (under similar circumstances), the unit is 'unreasonably hot', they should replace it.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If all you;re doing is running safari and you are even feeling a touch of warmth I am going to go ahead and say that is not normal.

As always, do a backup and reset as new (unless you did that to begin with) to try and see if the issue can be eradicated.

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

What troubleshooting have you tried, Restart, reset, restore? But remember, if you go through the Apple Genius Bar, you're getting a service unit replacement. If you want a brand new sealed replacement, you have to go back to original point of purchase. And as you noted, you had to stalk Target for a while.

5. TheMBC thread starter macrumors 6502

This is my issue. I don't really know how to replicate it. I just notice it during normal usage. Which concerns me because I don't really know how I could "prove" it to an Apple Genius.

Tomorrow I'm going to monitor how and when it gets hot. But I don't have abnormal apps (that I know of) and I'm not using it differently than my 5.

I don't mind a refurb; I just don't know if they'll actually have one considering the shortage.

Thanks guys!

6. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Not noticed on my 6+ but my 5 would get hot playing a game like clash of clans.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Apple store always have them in stock for replacement purposes so it doesn't hurt to try and have the genius take a look at it.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Not normal. You either have a defective unit or a stuck app in background.

9. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

I had an iPhone 6 that was unreasonably hot with no apps installed and just doing light web browsing. I kept it for a week, but nothing changed so I returned it. Did not want a service unit. This phone got so hot that it could possibly burn your skin after a few minutes. It felt unsafe to me; thought it could blow up at some point lol.

10. TheMBC thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes! It really gets that hot. It's insane.

I was trying to monitor usage today and all day it felt fine. It got a bit warm, but only a tiny bit. You couldn't feel it if you weren't trying to. But just now I turned on my phone, opened Twitter, and it got uncomfortably hot in under a minute. I'm at 36% battery. It's not scalding yet, but already I don't want to hold it. I guess I'll try going to Apple tomorrow and hoping they have a replacement unit?

11. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

Yeah, mine would get so hot that I would only use it if I had to! If you don't mind getting a replacement unit, you should definitely exchange it. Apple stores have phones set aside at the genius bar so it won't be a problem getting one. Hope it works out for you.

12. TheMBC thread starter macrumors 6502

Well if anyone was wondering: they will exchange it. They ran diagnostics and found nothing wrong, but exchanged it anyway. Only time this replacement has gotten hot was when I first loaded everything to it. It warmed up later but hasn't gotten as ridiculously hot as my original phone. Keeping my fingers crossed.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mine gets warm when I play games, but nothing other then that. I'm glad you were able to get yours replaced. Good luck

14. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

Thanks for checking back in with results. Best of luck with new unit.