Will Apple exchange my iPhone when it's not activated with AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M.a.r.k., May 10, 2009.

1. M.a.r.k. macrumors member

Well the titel says it all. I'm gonna be in ny in 2 weeks, and i was wondering if there apple will give me a hard time, when i want to exchange my 2g iphone. It still has waranty, but i haven't activated it with at&t because i live in germany and yeah well roaming would be too expensive ;)

2. calvy macrumors 65816

tell them you completed your contract with AT&T and have moved to Germany and use it there under a different company. I don't think they'd have a problem with that.

3. M.a.r.k. thread starter macrumors member

ok, yeah sounds good, but there is one problem, i can't use the iphone in germany without jailbreaking it; if i tell em i jailbroke it then the def. won't exchange it ;)

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

It is the original iPhone right? I doubt they will exchange it. If you were returning it because of a warranty issue they would. I think in your case it is just a matter of how long you have had it and how long Apple's return policy is.

5. M.a.r.k. thread starter macrumors member

it is still under the one year warranty, and touchscreen is not working anymore partially. Now physical damage, water etc.
    But it was jailbroken and now i put on the original firmware;

i think i'm gonna give it a shot they can't say nothing worse than no ;)

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Most geniuses couldn't care less that you jailbroke the phone. If it's still under the 1 year warranty, they'll replace it.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im pretty sure they do.
    Once they see a jailbroken phone they dont even want to bother with it. Thats what I experienced locally. And first thing they ask you is for your phone number to verify your AT&T account.

8. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Original iPhone still under the one year warranty? Now how is that possible?

It depends. I don't have AT&T, and I got a replacement 3g the other week. It all depends on who you get. As for it being jailbroken, I would just restore it before going in to the Apple store.

9. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Not everyone bought their iPhone the day it came out. This time last year they were still selling iPhone 2G's.

10. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Haha, that's right. I wasn't thinking. :eek:

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

They will verify your at&t account for replacements.

12. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Yup. Seen it happen.

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Also...don't they have to reactivate the replacement phone in the store?

14. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

That's what I was wondering when I got my 3G replaced, because I don't have AT&T. The genius just told me that the replacement iPhone will not be activated (which I already knew). Then he said just put an AT&T sim in activated or not, and connect it to iTunes. When iTunes asks to set up your new phone with AT&T and all that junk, click cancel. It will activate it for you.
    I just ran QuickPWN:)