Will Apple extend its warranty for Nvidia GPU trouble too?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fs454, Aug 18, 2008.

1. fs454 macrumors 65816

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/arch...ment-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

With Dell doing this to combat the failing Nvidia GPUs, will Apple eventually do the same? I never bought Applecare with my MBP due to monetary issues and I hit my one year mark before this GPU fiasco even started. Now my MBP is about one year and a few months old. If anything went wrong, will Apple charge me for it?

Or do you think, eventually, they'll release some sort of information regarding this?

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

They may do it for the sake of customer service or if nVidia picks up the tab on the back-end (Apple does the repair for free and bills nVidia).

Personally, if you are still within your first year of warranty coverage, I'd add AppleCare. That way you know you're covered.

3. fs454 thread starter macrumors 65816

You can't add after your year expires though, right?

I would if I could, but even still, I find it mildly disappointing that I can't run this laptop for several years to come without spending huge amounts of money on a logic board for an issue that shouldn't happen in the first place, on an otherwise extremely well crafted, and very expensive notebook.

I feel like if these things start failing bigtime in our notebooks, which they may because of the temperature threshold in these MBPs, they might have to.

This whole situation sucks, hah.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You can't. Must be purchased and activated within 365 days of the computer's purchase date.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Purchased, yes. Activated, no. As long as you purchase before the end of your 1-year warranty, you can activate it at any time. Of course it must be activated before you can use the services, such as calling tech support or sending a unit in for repair.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

True, I did that with mine, purchasing it on the last day and activating with an Apple Rep on the line when it came in a week later. You can'y use the automated service to apply the applecare if its after the year deadline but they can do it live for you.

Cheers,

7. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I THINK they have to by law. There was a problem a while back with HP and and a failing chipset. HP failed to acknowledge the problem let alone fixed in resulting in them getting sued. I do know if there is a battery problem a recall must be issued (For safety reasons.) So im sure if enough peoples MBP's fail due to GPU issues they have to extend the warrenty.

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

As noted, you cannot normally do so.

However, you might want to contact Apple Care as they may be willing to sell it, anyway, since this is a known issue that could affect notebooks now out of the standard warranty.