Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
I too would love a proper desktop from Apple. I have no need for a quad or eight core Xeon based system like the Mac Pro but I want to be able to choose the display and graphics card myself.

Unfortunately it looks unlikely that Apple will add this missing Mac in the lineup any time soon. Therefore my only choice will be to go for the new mini which has far from ideal laptop parts and no upgradability.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I did not describe the Mac mini. The Mac mini is an expensive fashion item built up from notebook parts, not a reasonable desktop.

That is exactly not what it is. Apple doesn't market the Mac Mini at all, not even when they update it to they mention it on their front page.

Power per cubic inch, it is extremely powerful, and extremely affordable for many situations. Macminicolo.net runs an entire business around Mac Mini servers, and they are absolutely perfect, about 1/20th the size of a normal desktop and yet packs in a Core 2.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Did not intend to start a thread war, just some dialog on the subject. Nothing bad intended towards iMac fans.

I suppose the comparison between the iMac and the Mini is inevitable. Who knows, perhaps both models will see a decent improvement and close up the hole a bit. Many people, including myself, are simply not in the market for a all-in-one iMac. I have decent peripherals and would like to see some bang for my dollar in the cpu.

One thing is for sure, there is a lot of support for a non-all-in-one desktop that performs well and doesn't cost a fortune.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
So, forced to wait and reward a company for not giving you what you need.
Or buy old stuff.

Great reasoning.

I never said I agreed. I said if you want an Apple tower, either save up, buy a refurb, or buy a G5. I'm basing this off the last 10 years. Apple can give you exactly what you need, but like all Apple products you will have to pay more.

Buy a Mac Pro, you will thank me in 5 years when your still running the current version of OS X and you don't need to buy a new system. The extra initial expenditure is easily recouped.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I never said I agreed. I said if you want an Apple tower, either save up, buy a refurb, or buy a G5. I'm basing this off the last 10 years. Apple can give you exactly what you need, but like all Apple products you will have to pay more.

Buy a Mac Pro, you will thank me in 5 years when your still running the current version of OS X and you don't need to buy a new system. The extra initial expenditure is easily recouped.

If Apple gave me what I need, I would have long replaced my 8-year old Cube.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
i7 would be nice but perhaps too hot?

You could even have a pricey single processor i7 midrange, as the Mac Pro would still be expensive server-based overkill for most people.

Exactly. An i7 940 would be my choice but it may be similar to the old problem that Apple was not able to put a G5 in a PowerBook.

The i7 uses a lot more power than a Core 2.
:(

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
well just for the record, I'd like to see a scaled down version of the pro, for about 1400.00 usd. A little smaller, because the pro is a beast.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Exactly. An i7 940 would be my choice but it may be similar to the old problem that Apple was not able to put a G5 in a PowerBook.

The i7 uses a lot more power than a Core 2.
:(

I thought you wanted a tower. There's no problem to put an i7 in a tower, unless you want something like a Cube (but without funny gfx size).

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Now are the people calling for it to be a tower simply because they dont want an all in one? Or is it for something like expandability, which apple isnt a huge fan of.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Now are the people calling for it to be a tower simply because they dont want an all in one? Or is it for something like expandability, which apple isnt a huge fan of.

I also understand (correct me if I'm wrong) that there are often no OSX drivers for the latest and greatest graphics cards anyway, so the expandability thing goes kinda out of the window.

For me at least having the display integrated into the computer is really the main issue. If I already didn't have two quality monitors on my desktop, something like the iMac 24" would be right up my alley. It's a very convenient unit that fits the needs of lots of people.

MSI recently had a very cool idea where they have a netbook type computer but mounted on a VESA 100 compatible display stand. This is essentially what the iMac is, so an iMac where you can mount your favorite monitor would probably be a pretty nice product. Of course it would probably look a bit strange since the monitor and computer in the back wouldn't match in design.

zombie1210

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
I did not describe the Mac mini. The Mac mini is an expensive fashion item built up from notebook parts, not a reasonable desktop.

Total BS. I have a Mini that has been running for 4 years, and still going strong. It replaced a PC, and has been a DESKTOP all this time.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Total BS. I have a Mini that has been running for 4 years, and still going strong. It replaced a PC, and has been a DESKTOP all this time.

It is not a REASONABLE desktop, as I said. The only use of such a form factor is to be put in a car dashboard, which is not the intended market for this computer.

zombie1210

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
It is not a REASONABLE desktop, as I said. The only use of such a form factor is to be put in a car dashboard, which is not the intended market for this computer.

Total gibberish from an obvious troll.

Tell ME what I'm missing here? My Mini has served as a DESKTOP for over 4 years. It sits on the corner of my DESK and it DOES EVERYTHING I NEED IT TO. I upgraded the RAM but otherwise, no upgrade was needed.

I'm guessing you are a gamerboy.

Go away.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Total gibberish from an obvious troll.

Tell ME what I'm missing here? My Mini has served as a DESKTOP for over 4 years. It sits on the corner of my DESK and it DOES EVERYTHING I NEED IT TO. I upgraded the RAM but otherwise, no upgrade was needed.

I'm guessing you are a gamerboy.

Go away.

I only need to tell you ONE thing: Can you put a TB drive in it? NO.

Much more could be said.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Stop trolling with your pathetic all-in-one.

Trust me, I'm no troll. :mad: Notebook parts these days are on par with their desktop counterparts. The iMac is the perfect solution to those people who want a desktop computer. Most people don't need to change parts in their computers. Only the high end professionals do that. :)

zombie1210

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
I only need to tell you ONE thing: Can you put a TB drive in it? NO.

Much more could be said.

Why would I want to? I already use an external FW drive.

You have absolutely no clue about the Mini. Or the iMac. Or much of anything it would seem.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Why would I want to? I already use an external FW drive.

You have absolutely no clue about the Mini. Or the iMac. Or much of anything it would seem.

Wow. So elegant your Mac mini with 2 external drives and cables (1 for data, 1 for backup).

Concept: FAIL

zombie1210

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Wow. So elegant your Mac mini with 2 external drives and cables (1 for data, 1 for backup).

Concept: FAIL

Listen up son...I did not say the Mini is my only computer.

I have 3 PC's and 3 Macs. The Mini does just fine.

Now, could you take your FAIL'ed attitude somewhere else.

You obviously are only trolling because you know nothing about Minis.

BTW...one ext drive, gameboy.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Not this again

Not this again. How many times do we need to complain that Apple doesn't have an xMac?

What is it that you are going to be doing that you will need to up grade the graphics card? Games? Well I would think most of the software cos. would write software for the most graphics base. PC games? You should get a PC then, not a Mac. Its where most of the games are.

As for the iMac, I too thought I shouldn't buy and iMac because I had a great 19" LCD hooked upped to my MacMini. But I tell you, I am glad I did. I'm enjoying my 24" iMac a lot. Now I am thinking of putting the monitor next to the iMac so I have even more desktop space (screen). :D

Hugh

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
People would not be shopping by price. They would buy such a reasonable desktop for OSX and quality hardware.

I also don't like the optical bays of the Mac Pro. I just want a pair of 5.25" holes (maybe with a big door that does not prevent just putting in any random drive).

:eek: Sorry, I thought this thread was about how holes are bad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.