Will Apple fix 1st gen MBA hinge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 1appleAday, Jun 15, 2013.

1. 1appleAday macrumors regular

I have a original gen A macbook air (2008) and recently the right hinge just cracked. It's out of apple care already. Will Apple still fix it for free? Any other people have similar problem lately? Thanks.

2. techn0lady macrumors regular

Highly unlikely that any manufacturer will fix any machine that is several years out of warranty - including Apple.

Have you gone to your Apple store and asked them yourself?
    Or called Apple tech support and asked?

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

By the book, NO. But you already know that.

However, things happens (I hear) at the Apple store. If you are cute, very personable, a natural-born salesperson, hey give it a try. All they can say is no.

4. 1appleAday thread starter macrumors regular

Just went to Apple Store. The answer is the typical "it's out of warranty, so we can fix it but got to charge you" response. Sigh.

I heard people can find parts on ebay and do it themselves. Maybe I will try that. Anyone here have attempted fixing it?

Thanks!

5. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

For the record: considering, that the rev a mba's are known for their crappy hinges, in some countries you could build quite a good case for it being a manufacturing fault and (within what that country's customer projection legislation would consider a reasonable lifespan of an ultra book) get it fixed nevertheless.

RGDS,

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple still fixes plastic Macbook topcases for free on out of warranty machines as long as they are still in the "Supported" part of their lifecycle. They replaced it on my then five year old Macbook that didn't have any form of warranty outside of the expired standard one year.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Did you even ask what the charge would be?