will Apple fix my iMac (dark spots forming under screen)?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gherkin, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

This seems to be a fairly common issue looking at Apple's forums, but it seems kind of random whether Apple will actually fix your computer.

I bought my 27" iMac from Best Buy in August 2011, so I should still be covered under the 1 year warranty, correct?

kind of hard to see, but here it is on my machine:
    http://www.gregburgh.com/random/splotch.jpg

anyone here have experience with Apple fixing this? How long is the turn around time?

2. skuid87 macrumors regular

Yep.

Had the exact same issue. They will replace the entire LCD panel with a new one. So long as you're covered under warranty, you won't have to pay a penny.

Turnaround time depends on the backlog of work at the store, and availability of the parts required. Mine had a huge backlog AND the parts had to be ordered into the store, so it took around 8 days.

Just make sure you inspect the screen properly at the store when you get it back. It's VERY hard to get it completely dust-freeon the inside of the panel and sometimes they miss/overlook this. I had to get them to open mine again and clean it as there were fingerprints on the INNER side of the panel!

All done now, iMac has been perfect ever since. :)

3. Mr Rogers macrumors regular

Change LCD

I've just had my LCD monitor and glass panel changed for the same problem - believe me it will get worse, so, if under warranty change - also, given your replacement LCD panel may also require swapping out again - I seriously urge yo to purchase AppleCare - Apple charge more than US$500 to swap the panel if your are not insured.

4. moonbeep macrumors member

moonbeep

I too had spots/marks within my screen,turned it it was smoke contamination from smoking and burning candles near the machine,Apple said they would change the screen but only this once,they also fitted a new led,cost me nothing as i was within warranty...........