Will Apple fix my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by daaneel, Jul 2, 2011.

1. daaneel macrumors regular

Ok heres the story, the digitizer on my iPhone has cracked but as you know it still reads your finger movements and the cracks haven't really bothered me. But now I having problems with my home button as sometimes it doesn't register my double click. I was wondering if i took this in to the genius would they fix it even though my screen is cracked?? (My phone is still under warranty)

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Only way to know for sure is to make a Genius appointment.

3. daaneel thread starter macrumors regular

Im planning on calling tomorrow but I just want to get a couple of opinions im very curious. Also since ive had the cracks for so long there is a whole little corner of the digitizer cracked out in the top right where you can see the mainframe, but near the homebutton there are no cracks whatsoever

4. flipster macrumors 6502a

They just replaced some other dude's iPhone that was smashed into 1,000,000 pieces for free in the other section of this forum.

They replaced my friend's water damaged iPhone 4 for free.

They replaced my friend's shattered 3GS for free.

Tell them that you have "premature home button failure". It's listed under the warranty as something that should be covered. You should be all set if you mention that phrase.

5. daaneel thread starter macrumors regular

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Good luck with that.
    Most likelly they will charge you $200.
    But if you never know, you might get lucky.
    But the way it is now their policy is to charge $200 for an out of warranty replacement.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You must be joking.

8. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

They will just say the home button problem could have been caused by the drop (Or whatever you done to crack the front.)

9. daaneel thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

My iPhone is still in warranty.
    Also isn't the premature home button failure a common known issue?

If for some reason they don't fix it, is it possible for me to fix it without altering anything that tells them I've opened it? What do I need to watch out for so they don't know?

10. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

Pity, what you did to your iphone. You better use a simple smart phone :mad:

11. daaneel thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I dropped it?

12. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

I actually saw a guy take an iPhone 4 in THAT damaged and they just replaced it, no argument.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When you smash the screen like that its not under manufacturers warranty any more. Its called user damage. That's not a manufacturers defect.
    You can try to use any excuse you want but when you bring it in like that what else is there to say? You damaged it.
    You can try fixing it yourself but its not worth it cause you will end up spending close to the $200 just for the screen.
    Your choice.
    I'd just bring it in and be honest about it and hope you get a rep that's in the giving mood that day.
    If you try to BS them and give them nonsense excuses they will just tell you to pay $200.

14. flipster macrumors 6502a

They replaced this.

Attached Files:

15. daaneel thread starter macrumors regular

Well boys looks like I had a success. The genius told me it would usually be $190 but since I've had no previous problems I got a new one free of charge! :D

16. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

17. daaneel thread starter macrumors regular

Truly is. I dont understand why people talk so negatively on this thread...

18. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It's not negativity, it's company policy. However, there have been more and more stories lately just like yours. It's great! :)

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, you got lucky:D