Will apple fix this?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mashiach, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

So my girlfriend dropped my iPhone and cracked the screen. I replaced it myself as I couldn't afford apples prices. It has been working for four months now with no problems. This morning I have the left hand side of the screen not to be working can't use the letter to the left of w (pronounced cue) I am typing this on my iPhone and also the number one and the hyphen key. It seems the entire left hand side of the screen. If I turn the keyboard to landscape I can then no longer use space or any of that row. If I take this into an apple store will they fix it or am I out of luck.

Cheers in advance.

2. zed2 macrumors 6502a

nope... you've already voided any Apple Warranty. There are plenty of places on the internet which will replace the bits for you.

3. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

Fair enough is there anyway to find out the exact problem because I have heard the screen( digitizer) is sometimes not the problem and I don't want to spend money on something that just doesn't fix it.

Cheers

4. zed2 macrumors 6502a

not that I know of... the best thing would be to find a repair place that will do a quote before working on it.

5. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

So here is an update and another question.

I have tried restoring the iphone but that didn't cure it.

I have ordered a new digitizer and we shall see if that fixes it.

If that doesn't then it has to be a logic board failure. As I haven't touched the logic bard does anyone think Apple would sort it out for me.

I ask this because I did some modification on my macbook pro (I was a bit stupid) anyways that didn't cause any problems but after a while I got the common dead logic board problem. As I had apple care I took it in and they sorted it out no questions asked.

I still have 2 months warranty left so hopefully there may be a happy ending.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You've missed the point. Your warranty is void.

7. zed2 macrumors 6502a

I would seriously doubt it... Apple are not expecting people to open the iphone for maintenance and I'll bet it'll void warranty.. Opening your laptop is different, it's not common but none the less changing HD or the like is understood.

8. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

Cool

Cheers for the input.

Well I shall update you on the new digitizer when it is fitted.

Hopefully all will be ok again.

Aggie. I wasn't missing the point. I apologise if I didn't come across clearly. As my original situation didn't allow me to use apples help because of the high price tag. I was just seeing if I could get any insight off fellow iphone users.

9. iFixYouri macrumors member

Bad digitizer...make sure you're using correct adhesive and not using something like superglue.

10. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

I have been thinking it is more the digitizer rather than logic board. The adhesive I used last time was the proper stuff packaged with the part.

11. iFixYouri macrumors member

If you're using metal tools to clip/unclip the LCD/Digitizer/Proximity sensor cables, then yes, there is a chance you zapped something on the board. We've seen it here before. Use the soft plastic tools that your kit should come with. Try to ground yourself as well as to not create electrostatic discharge.

12. Mashiach thread starter macrumors regular

Mashiach

As it turned it was just a bad digitizer I have fitted the new one and all is well. I can now type q and 1 all day long lol.

Something for others to consider is the adhesive provided with these kits is not very strong. This is a problem if you have to replace again as the glass seperatea from the casing when using the suction cup making it extremely difficult to pull out the whole front. Just be very careful when using a screwdriver or something to pry it out.

Anyways all is well now. Thanks for the help all.