Will Apple force AT&T activation in Apple stores to prevent unlocking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frosse, Jun 3, 2008.

?

Will Apple force activation in Apple stores?

1. Yes, smart move to prevent further unlocking

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No, you will be able to activate it when you want to

54 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. frosse macrumors 6502a

Statistics have shown that A LOT of iphones have been hacked and unlocked since the launch in the US. Do you think that Apple will force new customers to register at AT&T in Apple stores? This would be a good way to keep unlockers (new word ey :)) from buying iphones without activating it.

Whats your take on this? Is it possible?

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I don't think so, apple likes the ease factor and the fact that it just works and you don't have to deal with stupid at&t people...

3. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

No way! They want to get people out the store asap.

Imagine how packed it would be on launch day/week...

I think the £100/$200 rebate rumors that have been popping up will make people want to sign contracts....

4. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

True, though there are still alot of people from other coutries that brings their new iphones abroad to unlock, correct?

5. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

6. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

it is way to convenient for people to activate thru itunes. i dont think they will make you activate in the store. most apple stores are busy anyhow, this would make the already long lines that much longer.

7. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I don't think they would do that, at least I hope not. They came up with a good way to activitate a phone that doesn't take an hour and that you can do yourself in 10 minutes.

As long as you're buying the iPhone from Apple I would think they wouldn't care that much because they are still getting your money.....AT&T would be the ones who I think would do that.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes but the phone doesn't have any less "ease of use" if you're forced to activate in store. Not to mention, I'm sure Apple doesn't give a **** if consumers have to deal with "stupid" AT&T reps. ;)

9. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

if it was such a problem for apple that people buy their phone without at&t they could have already changed something...
    apple sells the phone and they don´t care... !!!
    here in germany you can only buy the phones in tmobile stores and you have to sign a contract in store... so there are already different ways to handle it ...

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

No forced activation, but the next iphone will likely have software or hardware improvements that make it significantly harder to unlock. I'm sure that AT&T has been pushing Apple on this issue based on the huge difference between iphones sold in the US and iphone activations with AT&T.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Does it really matter what we think? "Ma Bell" is going to do whatever the **** she wants! Who thinks we are tying to preserve Capitalism/Democracy (in the US)? All we are doing is extending the borders of the AT&T Empire at about $70 per month around the world. Gawd, I need another Starbuck's Latte. :eek:

12. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

software 2.0 wich will most likely be running on both, the old and the new phone is already unlocked isn´t it ?

13. neven macrumors 6502a

Yes, and you'll have to take a trip to the store every time you restore or update your phone... :rolleyes:

14. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

my opinion

here is my opinion and tell me what you think. I personally think that apple does not care about att at all. Why would apple want to limit itself to a small market when its clear that everyone ante the iPhone and apple wants everyone to have the iPhone. I believe that the "updates" that relock the phone are only to please att for legal contract reasons but are still simple enough to be hacked because once agiam I don't think apple wants to limit itself on consumers or they loose profit. If they really truly wanted to lock down the iPhone they would have done it by now. Just look at the sidekick for example. Its been out for almost 10 years? and has never been unlocked.

15. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

exactly

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Why would you want to unlock a Sidekick anyway? Aren't they giving those baby toys away! LOL :eek:

17. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

lol... i am a former sidekick user, and personally I think they are great phones. Much nicer UI then any windows mobile phone. But no "mobile UI" beats a full OS iphone anyday. And as a mac user, how could I not have an iphone?

....On a completely off the topic note, I am partial to microsofts zune.... I have had enough ipods...time to move on to somthing new.

18. f1 macrumors 6502

Everytime I buy a new cellphone that requires some sort of activation i spend at least 30 min. in side the store. Apple Stores are already packed all the time, they don't have time to do this.

19. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

Apple gains more money from selling the phones and not taking a cut of your service plan from AT&T then foregoing the sales and losing the profits from the phone itself.

Never forget, Apple is a hardware company.

20. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Nah, they will let people go home and activate whenever they when as they should

21. samab macrumors 6502a

That's just dumb --- it's penny smart and dollar stupid.

It's never about AT&T --- it's about all the other 50+ carriers that Apple is signing up right now.

What would the other carriers that haven't signed up yet look at how Apple is screwing AT&T? What would these carriers think that Apple would suddenly sign up with Starbucks for hotspots --- with AT&T's competitor (T-Mobile USA)?

22. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

Well Mr. Duu-Mass, if you had read the headlines a while back, att has made a deal with starbucks to replace all tmobile hotspots into att hotspots.

23. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

Hi All,

I personaly think that if you had to activate in-store, it may put a few people off buying say in their lunch break from work, as they would have to que for ages and THEN sit down and go through all the things with the AT&T staff. Apple wouldnt sell as many phone by doing it that way. In and Out in 5mins alot of people were for the first iPhone, spent most of their time queuing.

Just my 2 pence worth.

24. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Good luck with that, on many levels...