Will Apple Genius Help MBP HD Swap Out?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jazz1, Mar 29, 2009.

1. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I've got a three year old MBP and would like to upgrade the HD. I've seen instructions on the Internet, and see this is not really a user replaceable item....at least by this user ;) I'm handing it down to daughter and I just don't want to mess this up.

At one time I thought I heard the Apple Genius Bar would supervise an install if you brought your own tools. Is that true?

I assume sending shipping it to Apple would cost an arm and a leg, plus they'd won't to sell me the HD replacement.

There really aren't any independent Apple service centers where I live.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They should be able to swap HDD's for you. I've heard mixed experiences. Some say the Genius Bar will some say they won't. If they're able to swap out SuperDrives, I'm pretty sure they can do HDD's as well. I'd call into your local Apple Store and ask one of the Genius Members yourself just to make sure.

3. ebika macrumors 6502

About six months ago my MBP was being serviced for the dead video card/logic board replacement thing. I figured while they had it open, they could swap out the hard drive for me. I asked, they said no, not unless it was an "Apple part."

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I forgot to mention that. Apple will NOT install a part if it's from a 3rd party. Must be a part from Apple.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple Authorized repair centers will do this for you. At least, they've always done it for me...

6. jazz1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jazz1

Thanks. I'll see if I can locate one around here. This MacBook Pro is three years old and I'd like to put a newer, bigger, and faster drive in it. Newer is more important as I would like it to have less of a chance to fail due to age.

I'm also passing on a USB external HD with the Time Machine speech. If the kid was at home I'd run it off an Airdisk.