Will Apple give me a 6S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ggonzaga07, Sep 27, 2015.

1. ggonzaga07 macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 6 with the extended AppleCare+ warranty. My phone's LCD is messed up a bit, there's a couple purple areas on my screen that show up when there's a black image (such as when I'm booting up the phone, it's just to the right of the Apple logo) on the background.
    Would that have my phone entirely replaced or only the screen?
    My iPhone 6 is a 128GB version and it is GSM-Unlocked, using Sprint on it. I checked the Apple website today and they don't have the 128GB version anymore, only the 64GB. Would I then get an iPhone 6S, since it is the only one with 128GB for sale?
    If it only got the screen replaced, what if it were a problem which would replace my phone? Would they need to give a 6S?

Thanks

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

No, they will have replacement stock of the 6 for years.

3. eyedoc2020 macrumors member

Sorry, you will be getting another 6.

4. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

This. It's the another reason why Apple retains 2 iterations per release cycle. They can cover your version of your phone during that amount of time for AC+.

5. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

Wow, that is one aspect of the 2 year cycle that I never realized! Probably because there are no Apple stores near where I live where I could get AppleCare :)

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, sorry OP, you won't get an upgrade.

7. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

In terms of replacements, how old do they probably go back? To the 4S?

8. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

I saw somewhere on these forums a couple weeks ago that someone had just got an out of warranty iPad 3 replacement from Apple. I was surprised they even go back that far.

9. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

The reason I'm curious is because I wonder if you could buy an old Apple device on the cheap like a 4S or an iPad 2, and then pay a minimal fee for a Apple-certified replacement from the Genius Bar.

10. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Apple replacing your 6 with a 6S?
    [​IMG]

But seriously, they will have stock for your 6. However, there are a few rare instances where they could very well replace your 6 with a 6S...but like I said....that would be rare. Good luck!

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're getting the same model, color and storage.
    They have replacements in stock even if they don't sell that particular one any more.

12. Liisa01 macrumors member

Liisa01

I wish, everyone would have "problems" with their old iPhones if they did.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Apple ran out of stock for the original iPhone in 2013 if that tells you anything.

14. ggonzaga07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many of those replacements are refurbished ones, that's why. You can get some refurbs for dirt cheap.

I'm going to call and ask if they still have an iPhone with the exact same specs as mine. If they say no then I'll get right to it!

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

No you will not be upgraded to the 6S.

16. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

You don't get a brand new phone, you get a refurbished unit in their unmarked boxes. It comes out of their Genius Bar inventory and these units are not for sale.

Look, you're not getting a free upgrade to the 6S. If Apple granted that then iPhone release days going forward would be chaotic with everyone claiming issues so they can get the new one. Apple isn't stupid, they designed their system this way on purpose.

So if they can replicate your issues, you'll get a replacement of the exact same phone, color, and capacity. If they don't have it available they might ship your phone out for service or mail a replacement to you.

17. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

When the iPhone 5 battery recall happened. I had it replace, as it was showing the problem. They replaced it. A month later the phone went completely dead.

The replaced my two year old iPhone 5 - Silver - 64GB, with a brand new iPhone 5 - Silver - 64GB. That's right, manufactured November 2014.

So while they replaced the iPhone 5 with the 5C, in 2013, they were still technically making the 5 original, all along in all capacities, for this very reason.

From personal experience, no they will never replace an old model, with a newer one.

18. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

Nope you are getting a 6. Do you know what kind of flood gates that would cause if they just let everyone get free 6s who have extended warranties? It is very unlikely.

19. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

They will give you a 6 and a firm handshake.

20. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Calling the Apple Store will prove to be fruitless for you. You will be getting a refurbished iPhone 6 in the same configuration unfortunately.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

PS. OP, under the terms of AppleCare they can replace with new or "like new" of the same model. Their discretion.

But as said multiple times you will not get a free upgrade.

PPS to everyone else. Happens every damn time there is a new model release. No one listens!

22. James717 macrumors regular

I consider that a super win!!

Try doing that with Samsung! Parts for my wife's Note 3 (came out 1 year ago or was it 1 and half years??) are now unavailable. She's been told to buy a new phone (of course, Samsung didn't offer a "CARE" insurance package, do they??). But it's rough. Very rough for her. She doesn't use the smart phone except to make phone calls and do regular things. She jogs, but no way does she use the exercise apps. She may use the calculator and the currency exchange apps quite often.

In any case, it's a nightmare if the smart phone has any problems. Thank goodness for applecare. And thank goodness for replacing the exact same one (even if it takes a week or two to process). any other cell phone manufacturer will just ask you to buy a new phone. Very very bad.

23. wxman2003 Suspended

You will get a replacement 6, not 6S. Tee hee hee!

24. ABC5S macrumors 68040

They will give you the same iPhone and a "Nice try bud" reply

25. maflynn, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ask all you want, they're not about to give you a newer model. First thing that sets up a dangerous precedent where people will suddenly break their iPhones to get an upgrade for free. Secondly, you will be getting a phone with the same specs, i.e., not a 6s.