Will Apple Give Me a Free New Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, Jun 21, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

This is an interesting situation.

I've heard many times from people that own Macs and also here on these forums that Apple may replace your computer if problems keep rising with your Mac.

My Late 2006 Macbook has been taken to Applecare about 3 times in 2009, 2 of those times within the past month and a half.

Originally, back in roughly around January I took my Macbook in for them to replace the cracking white casing, which they did. A little bit of a hassle living about 30 miles from the nearest Apple store but they did it. I got my Macbook back and was happy, only thing that annoyed me was not having my Mac with me (Feeling so unproductive :eek:).

Then around in March all of a sudden my screen began flickering like crazy. I remember even taking a low res cell phone video showing how the entire screen would go bright white. It was tough to do any work during this time, though waited till Spring Break in April to take it to the Apple store since I needed my Macbook to complete a few essays for college. When I received the Macbook back the screen was working beautifully, which I'm thankful that they did...however, when I picked up the Macbook at the Apple Store I noticed that the back of the Mac where the inverter board went (they replaced it), was broken. The technician at the store was accomidating and suggested I leave it there for another week+ for them to repair it since it obviously happened during under their care. Sadly, I mentioned I needed it for college again since Spring Break was over, alongside not living near the Apple Store. The technician suggested calling AppleCare so they would mail me a box to ship the Mac in and best of all, have the Mac deliveried back to my front home door.

Upon the ending of the Spring semester at college I put the Mac in the fed-ex box and shipped it out to AppleCare. A little under two weeks later I received my Macbook yet again. They fixed the open cracking behind the inverter board, which was great. The bad news was that I received a bit more paper work with my Mac stating something happened under their care and had to wipe my hard drive clean. They added Leopard again, but obviously without any of my stuff. I won't mope or complain about that, since I'm well aware I should have made a backup of my contents, but never did since most of my important files were already up in "the cloud" with Google Apps. It took a day or two to regain all my old files, photos, videos, settings, etc to get back to where I was, but nevertheless. I guess the other bad news to add on to this situation is that the DVD player, kinda doesn't work anymore. Well, i'll be honest it doesn't really work. I have Netflix and I connect my Mac to my flatscreen in the living room with the HDMI and Apple Cable to watch movies, almost nightly. But since receiving the Macbook from AppleCare the DVD in question needs to be gently slid in the entire way in the slot and then the DVD player sort of fetches it; when doing this the DVD player makes a loud mechanical sound it never did before, normally (& if you own a Macbook, you know this) it would make hardly a sound. If anything a low whisper. Now this mechanical sound could easily wake up my GF if I decide to watch and episode of "24" late @ night. But the real tickler of this DVD dillema is that once the dvd player is in the Macbook and DVD Player opens, you can hear the DVD itself spinning inside the Mac, almost in a violent fashion which makes me freak out if the DVD is being scratched. But honestly, what pisses me off the most is that once DVD Player opens on the screen, the DVD movie itself plays for no longer than 2 minutes. After that the DVD player app freezes/doesn't respond. I assumed this could've been just a DVD Player App problem but the same happens when using VLC app.

As you can see, i'm a bit frustrated at the situation. I'm not specifically upset with anyone at Apple, but having to go without my Mac for weeks at a time to receive a Mac with a new problem only to have it sent back again is getting me aggravated. In this post I did not mention the few other times I sent it in in 2008 for an odd discoloration on the white screen or cliche crack keyboard near the palm rests almost everyone has experienced.

I'm planning on calling AppleCare tomorrow to explain my situation but due to the circumstances am considering asking if they wouldn't mind just trading a new Macbook.

That would be great, especially seeing the keynote last week. Which begs the question: Do those new Macbooks accept the same 2.5 Sata Hard Drive?

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yes to the same drives, no you probably will not get a new one to replace your '06.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There's no way Apple will give you a brand new Macbook. They will give you a 2006 refurb, but no new Macbook.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It is extremely difficult to get Apple to replace your computer, if at all possible they will repair the computer. You could try your luck at escalating the issue on the phone to see if you can get it replaced, but don't expect it. (Hope for a good AppleCare representative)

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I don't think I mentioned it up there but everything was obviously covered under AppleCare.

Seems like the verdict so far is they won't shell out for the new Macs...

...But do rememeber hearing of stories when AppleCare replaced someones Macbook for a Macbook Pro for their troubles in situations like this, which initially was why I asked this question.

But wouldn't it be nice?

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've had my MacBook Pro replaced under AppleCare before but it was a nightmare to do so. I had to spend a lot of time on the phone, I had numerous hardware problems with the computer and I had to find the right representative to talk to. It would be nice if they would be more willing to give out replacements, but then they would lose money if they went and gave out a lot of replacements.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The criteria for replacement is usually 3 repairs on the same component or part within one year. I've heard of people saying that 3 repairs of any kind on the same machine got them a replacement, but this is not usually the case.

8. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

weird. i put a disk in my dvd drive and it sounds like it is chewing it. i figured it was normal. :D