Will Apple give me a new iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MVallee, Apr 22, 2008.

1. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I had a problem with my iPod Touch a while back. Basically, the headphone jack stopped working.(See topic here) But its been working fine since. The only thing is I'm constantly worried that it may go bad again, especially if it happens out of warranty.

I got it at the Apple Store around the end of February. I don't have Apple Care. Will they replace it right in the store if I bring it in? Would they give me a new one or a refurbished one?

I just find myself not trusting my iPod and being way over cautious about shaking it and having the headphone jack cut out again.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In all likelihood, probably not. Unless the problem can be diagnosed, Apple is very unlikely to replace a system. Also, replacement iPods can be both new or refurbished (you won't be able to tell the difference).

However, go to the Apple Store and give it a try. If they don't wish to replace the unit, ensure that you have your headphone problem documented, so if at anytime your headphone port does fail, you'll have proof that you were having problems before the warranty expired. Before you leave, make sure you get a copy of this documentation. ...Of course, I've never tried this at an Apple Store, so I can't say how corporative they'll be.

In the event it is documented, that should provide enough peace-of-mind to relax your cautiousness towards the iPod. :)

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I'm confused... you say you bought the Touch and the end of February, but don't have AppleCare? Did you damage the Touch in some way that it voided the warranty or have you just not purchased the extended AppleCare?

As long as you haven't voided it, you have 1 year of coverage under AppleCare from the purchase date. Apple might replace the Touch on the spot with a refurb if they have them in stock. Otherwise, you might be without an iPod for a few days while one is shipped to the store.

4. tennez macrumors regular

Just go the apple store and ask them and let us know!

5. Nickelz92 macrumors member

Unless the problem is current it's doubtful that Apple will consider replacing it especially if you tell them the problem is the headphone jack, and they check it. So, unlikely.

6. MVallee thread starter macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I just don't have the extended warranty. I haven't voided the 1 year warranty at all.

Nothing appears to be wrong with it now, so it would be hard to bring it in and show them a problem. I'd have to tell them I had a problem, it went away and I'm worried it will come back.

I had a problem before with an iPod Classic and it was past the 14 days and they gave me a brand new one on the spot still sealed in the box. A genius never even looked at it, I just told them what was happening and they replaced it.

Its a 32GB if that matters.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I can't see any reason they would give you a new one if the one you have is working fine

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

They're not going to replace it at this point without being to diagnose the problem, but if it comes back then get a new one. If it doesn't come back by the time the 2nd year is closing in, just buy AppleCare and by the time the 2nd year is up you'll want a new iPod anyway.

9. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I second this. If your worried, buy AppleCare to cover your butt.

They aren't going to replace it if there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it now.

10. MVallee thread starter macrumors 6502a

MVallee

Ya it would just be my luck the day after the 1 year warranty runs out it craps out on me.

Can I buy Apple Care still?

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, you have one year to buy AppleCare (i.e. before your original warranty expires).