Will Apple give me a new MacBook already?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, Nov 1, 2007.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

My god, now my MacBook's superdrive is getting even more messed up!

I have already had 4 repairs done to this dang thing, and 2 of them were getting the superdrive replaced, and now I think I might need to get it replaced a third time.

Problem: When it ejects, the motors are very weak, and sometimes tries to eject, but gets stuck on the way out.

ugh...

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You have to ask for a replacement, don't be rude, but be firm. Remember "I'm a loyal customer", and cross your fingers :)

3. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I have been very strict, patient, and polite with Apple, but every time I call they suggest I bring it into an Apple Store to check it out, and I end up having to say I don't have the time can you please just pick it up and they say yes for repairs and no for replacements.

Is it because I am 14?

4. nikiski macrumors regular

But, I'm just curious... what disc did you put in there? Is that one of those "thicker" discs?

5. triddent222 macrumors regular

I'd recommend to call one more time, and "request" (a.k.a: Demand politely) a replacement. Apple has a "three repairs for the same issue = replacement" policy, so they shouldn't give you a hard time. Also, you could try asking your parents/guardian to call AppleCare instead. Maybe the AppleCare 'representatives' are trained to disregard 'kids' and their <sarcasm>"whining"</sarcasm> (even though you are seemingly much more mature than most people on this forum =\).*

Good luck on your journey for the Golden Apple. (scratch that, I hate gold >.>)

*- On their defense, I wouldn't take anything most young boys/girls ask seriously either...

6. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

7. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Do you think my MB is too old to get a replacement from past experiences?

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

For me, this is what I did.

"Hi there, I just got my repaired iBook back and its even worse. THIS IS MY 3rd REPAIR IN 2 WEEKES!!"

Say that you have stuff to do or that you run a business. I was yelling on the phone because they said that the only thing they could do would be to send it in for repair. So I said that I do not have the time for this and I asked for the manager. From there he dealt with everything and now I have a very nice 2.16GHz MB.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, unless you're making age a very obvious part of the conversation, this shouldn't be an issue. As others pointed out, just ask firmly (ie, don't allow the rep to convince you that a repair is worth trying) but nicely. The conversation should go like this:

"My macbook's Superdrive is giving me trouble again, and it's already been in for repairs twice. I think it might be a lemon."

"Hmm, would you like to bring it in to an Apple retail store to have it examined by a genius?"

"That doesn't work for me because I don't have the time to drive out to one, and I really need to use the Superdrive soon. I think a replacement would be best."

"I'm pretty sure a repair would take care of the problem."

"No, that's ok, I think I really would like a replacement. It really is a matter of saving my time."

"Our repairs are done very promptly. You'd have your macbook back quite soon."

"No, I'm sorry. I really need a replacement."

The trick to speaking with salesmen, or customer service reps is repetition. They're trained by the "times 3" rule. They have to hear your request three times, or it isn't really what you want ;)

10. saga macrumors regular

I currently have an updated macbook on it's way. I had been experiencing problems with my isight, and usb connections. Mine has only been in for repair twice in just over a year. They are sending me a replacement, and it is the newest update. It took some work, but I was happy that they did listen. I know that I am probably very lucky, but you do need to be persistent, but very polite. When my macbook went in for it's second repair, I spoke with customer relations, and told them due to the extensive repair, If anything else goes wrong, that I would expect a replacement. Again, all of my interactions were very civil, but I never gave in. I think that you will be fine, just ask for customer relation.

11. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Three repairs or above is the threshold for a replacement. How old is it? That kind of factors in, in the sense that if it's all been in the space of three months, you can have an easier time of convincing them. On the other hand, if it's been a year and a half (with AppleCare of course) it may seem more normal. If you're worried about age being a factor... is your dad a decent arguer? Or your mum? If so then get one of them to do it for you! :p

12. Xcolored macrumors member

You have to get out there and "nicely demand" a replacement. They don't want to replace it, but they will if you work them enough.

Zack

13. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

How does the replacement policy go along? Do I send in my MacBook, they inspect it, than they have to switch my Apple care to the other MacBook, etc. and if they miraculously dont find anything wrong with it they just send it back or something? Because the people at the genius bar obviously are actors and they are naive sometimes, but if I send it in to Apple and they think there is nothing wrong with it will they just send it back or what?

May I please get an answer.... I really need to know because if I need to send it in and they need to inspect it and stuff I need to prepare my self a long wait without a computer.

14. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

Yay! They are sending a replacement in right now!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

2 1/2 hours on the phone was all worth it.