Will Apple hold a media event for new launches....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    In the immediate future Apple is expected to release a new 15" MBP (redesigned), Mac mini (refresh only), Mac Pro (possible redesign), and iMac (possible redesign) which all could hypothetically be released at once. I know that Apple doesn't hold events for a refresh, but do they hold one for redesigns? Because the MBP, iMac and potentially even Mac Pro could all be released with a new design within the next month.

Also, do you think Apple will announce the mbp redesign for the 13" and 15" models and say "15" available now while the 13" will be available in June!" or just not mention the 13" at all... or hold off on the 15" to coincide with the 13"?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well when they do, it typically is for a couple of weeks in advance so that means any announcement is not in the immediate future.

They've mostly just updated the Mac lines without any sort of media event and I suspect this will the same.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

When in the immediate future is Apple supposed to release the MBP? The CPU's aren't ready yet. They will be available "later this spring" The Mac mini won't be refreshed soon we haven't heard any rumors. The Mac pro CPU's are out (Sandy-bridge E) but there still hasn't been an event. The iMac is going to be the first computer Apple updates.

I doubt Apple will do three redesigns this year.The computers won't all be released at once because the CPU's and GPU will be available at different times. The iMac is ripe for a refresh. All MBP will be released at the same time.

4. Acidsplat macrumors regular

The processors for quad-core MacBook Pros are ready. The dual-core ones suitable for the 13-inch MacBook Pro aren't. However, I believe as other people noted, Intel released a quad-core processor that would fit in the 13-inch's thermal envelope.

5. streetmapp macrumors newbie

6. Otumelty macrumors member

Surely they would have to have a media event, they wouldn't just announce one day 'oh the new MacBooks are in store.'

7. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Right, well that's what they do for spec refreshes and some minor redesigns. The last redesign of the MBA had a media event, but that was also the Back to the Mac event for the release of Lion.

I think it depends on how radically different the new MBP's would be.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

They've done pretty much that for most recent Mac updates. The redesigned Air got an event (although that was mostly about OSX Lion), as did the first unibody MBP release, but Mac updates really don't seem to be calling for events these days.

Only reason there would be an event would be if there's something really new to explain. If it's just thinner, lighter, no optical drive, blade SSD from the air plus normal HDD, or other things like that, then I don't think there will be an event. What would they talk about for an hour?

The unibody announcement event was to explain the new manufacturing technique and its significance. The Air announcement was to show off Lion and explain the SSD-only storage for the new Air line (and introduce the 11" model).

About the only thing I could see justifying an event would be to talk about a retina display and the impact that that will have for users and developers.

My guess is just a big full page banner on Apple.com on announcement day, plus all the major tech sites receiving review units.

9. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

The was an event for the Unibody introduction, no?