Will Apple hold another event for Watch? If so, guess when?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bengy66, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Bengy66 macrumors regular

I am thinking a little outside of the box with this guess, but I am thinking Apple makes a splash either during Super Bowl Sunday or the Grammy's. An Apple keynote during the day and commercials during the event.

If I had to choose one, I would say the Grammy's where the keynote will feature the  Watch, new Beats streaming service, 12 inch MacBook Air, and new iPhoto replacement.

What's your guess?

2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I really don't think they will host another, because the watch is "going" to be launched in march and apple is sending few employees from stores to be trained to use the iwatch.

3. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

4. odds macrumors 6502

It'd definitely be clever for Apple to make a splash on a day where media hype is already high. Good thinking, there. I don't have my own prediction (yet) but I hope the event happens (and soon)!

5. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

I doubt most will agree, but February 24th.

Why? Because the rumors say retail employees will be trained from 2/9 until 2/16. That same rumor suggests sales start +\-2 weeks later, so my guess for retail launch is March 6th. If it's released on March 6th, that means pre-orders start a week earlier: February 27th. The event would be the Tuesday before that, so... February 24th.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

An event in February for iPad Pro, 12" rMBA, and Watch. Makes sense.

7. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

Wasn't there a thread about this not long ago?

Anyway, I think it should be fairly accepted that the watch will ship in March. With that in mind, there will be an event, some Tuesday in March, with the watch in stores the second Friday after. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there is more time between announcing and shipping.

Whenever it is, there will be another event. It may not be :apple:Watch focused, but the watch won't just appear. It will occupy some significant portion of an event that has other product launches. Something with Apple TV and HomeKit makes sense.

8. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

I say they put out ads for the Apple Watch the night of the Grammy's (Feburay 8th) with a "Coming in March" at the end. They'll announce the day of the Keynote that day too. The Keynote will be the week of the 22nd (24th/25th most likely).

Keynote will be primarily a Apple Watch event, but I also see the Retina MacBook Air/iPad Pro (whatever one's real), New Photos app, Revamped Beats Streaming Service.

Ads for the Apple Watch will be the same, but revamped with a "Coming March __ ".

9. madsci954, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015

madsci954 macrumors 68030

I'm predicting another event, but not solely for the  Watch. I think it will include, though not in this order:

- Apple Watch final details, launch date, countries, and prices
    - iOS 8.2 new features, including Apple Watch Companion app, with demo
    - Photos app for OS X, with stage demo and launch date
    - New fanless MBAs
    - New  TVs with Homekit integration

I still believe March 20 will be the launch date for the Watch, so the event will most likely be March 10.

10. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Yes, this all sounds fairly likely. We may we'll see some sort of iTunes Radio improvement/merge with Beats music as well.

I think it could be a case of Photo's for OS X avlaiable 'Today' and then iOS 8.2 either today, or a few days before the Apple Watch Launch. Surely it wouldn't make sense to release 8.2 on the day of the Apple Watch launch as this would provide agony for those who've for a watch and can't use it because of downloading iOS 8.2. I think that the companion app won't be viable to users until an Apple Watch has been connected.

11. odds macrumors 6502

This is the best prediction in here so far, in my opinion.

12. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

I agree!
    I think they will want it as close as possible to release.

13. rossy100 macrumors regular

Another thought on this............ let's assume the following:

1. training is as suggested starting on 2/9
    2. there are features of the watch to be revealed which are as yet unannounced - and will be unveiled at the keynote

If the above is correct then I would expect the keynote to be before training starts such that training can be delivered based on full functionality. There is no way Apple would train employees in mass on function s that are as yet unannounced - for fear of leaking out and stealing the thunder of the keynote.

I understand the usual keynote/release timings based on iPhone/iPad recent history. Although remember that the first iteration of these devices had a much longer lead time between official announcement of availability dates and the actual dates.

iPad - Unveiled Jan 27th 2010 - Availability date announced March 5th - Released April 3rd

iPhone - Unveiled Jan 9th 2007 - Availability date announced June 11th - Released June 29th

I would therefore not be the slightest bit surprised if there were nearly a month between announcement of release date and actual release for the watch (with pre-orders starting sometime in that window).

14. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

I agree - If they're going to be training 2 employees per store the week of February 9, an event would probably happen before that to announce the date, etc.

Looks like with the iPad, some apple store employees got training on 3/10/10 prior to the April launch. If that kind of pattern holds true then we may see the launch of the Watch in late Feb/early March.

15. fousfous macrumors regular

That's why I think it will released the 14th February.

16. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I can't see it being the 14th Feb. Thats less than 4 weeks a way and not a lot of news is coming out about the watch. I think it will be April before it goes to market

17. fousfous macrumors regular

Apple announce a keynote a week before, so that logical that we heard anything about it.

18. rossy100 macrumors regular

I predict keynote on 9th or 10th feb with launch on March 6th. Maybe pre-orders start on 13th Feb in time for Valentine's.

19. slenpree, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015

slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

In the past apple have held events on the 2nd and the 7th March in 2011 and 2012 respectively; invitations usually go out a week before. Putting this all together we could say that there will be an Apple event on either the 5th or 6th March with invitations going out on the 26th/27th February. So in just over 4 weeks we shall know for sure! But in actual fact, apple held an event in the last week of January to reveal the first iPad in 2010, so who knows maybe we will be surprised next week. Jonny.

20. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I think it's off the mark to assume that the Apple Watch will release a week after announcement. Typically Gen 1 products have a longer lead in, as people have pointed to with the iPad and iPhone introductions.

21. fousfous macrumors regular

22. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

The original iPhone was shown off in January and released in June.

23. fousfous macrumors regular

Year but it was an only one keynote who let see all functions?

24. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

They talked about the iPhone again at WWDC that year.

25. fousfous macrumors regular