Will Apple Keep Making White iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaGreat01, May 5, 2010.

1. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Back then, everything Apple was white. iBooks, iMacs, Older iPods etc. Now a days, when you enter an Apple Store, most of the products are aluminum, or aluminum and black. The only things left white is the MacBook, Mac Mini, and Apple TV. Not even the iPods are white anymore.

So my question is, do you think that with this next look (based on the prototype photos) Apple would make a white model?

Personally, I don't like the white iPhones out now, but the white and chrome don't look too bad and worked together. However, with the new aluminum sides, i don't the white will look too good.

What are some of your thoughts?

**this is all my personal opinion, I don't speak for Apple obviously, and my assumptions are based on the leaked prototype photos**

2. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

I liked the white on the old models but I think the new prototype we've seen looks good in black.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There are lots who like the white, so yes, you'll continue to see it.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Assuming they’ll go with that new glass back that was on the iPhone prototype, then I highly doubt they’ll produce a white version.

5. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Again, I'd like to post some renders that graphiteevo posted in another thread. The white doesn't look bad at all. These are just renders of course though.

(Click to make larger)
    [​IMG]

6. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Yes I saw those and I think it looks really good, but i think the reason they don't look too bad is because the aluminum sides look almost white. But would the white and the aluminum really look good together. Also the white in the front makes it look better too, but is not going to happen.

And yes, the white does look good on the current model. But with the squareness of the new one, wouldnt it look a little weird to have the front black, sides aluminum, and the back white? Whats the point of having a white back only? The current iPhones have no actual side, just a front and a back separated by a chrome bezel. The new ones would just look like a black iPhone when you set it on a table...

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think a white 4th gen would look BETTER than a white 3GS.

I never liked how the white back on the 3G and 3GS curved to the front and let you see white if you hold the phone even a little bit askew. Too goofy and the reason I never considered a white iPhone.

But a white 4th gen with a clear, divided edge splitting up the front and the back? I'd think about it in that case.

8. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

So because less than half an inch on the sides isn't visible anymore it shouldn't be offered in more colors, because it won't be distinguishable when laid flat on a table? You could argue that the current white iPhone looks like a black iPhone when set on a table.

9. DaGreat01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

What is the point of only having the back flat part of the phone a color and the rest two other colors?

10. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

The iPod Classic only has the face of the device in Aluminum/Black and the back of the device in chrome. The 3rd Gen iPod nano came in various colors, but only the face of the device was colored as well. The iPhone however has a large display encompassing most of the front of the device, so unless you want little fruit loops to be pasted onto the device with hot glue, only the back panel can be colored. We know Apple chooses a black bezel because it works very well when viewing content on a display. My white iPhone right now primarily only shows color on the back side of the phone. But as you say, if there's no point then they should just not bother painting the cases and leave them that same dull color they have straight from the factory, because they all look the same when laid flat on a table top.

11. steveca macrumors 6502

i personally prefer black but white looks pretty good as well

12. neal.young macrumors member

I think the black iPhones look slightly better, but I still prefer the white models simply because the back does not show fingerprints like the black models. I like to use my phones without a case, as I treat them well and don't drop or damage them, and I prefer the no-case look, but there is basically no way to stop fingerprints short of not handling the phone at all.