Will Apple keep the ipod app updated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fishmoose, Oct 9, 2008.

?

Will they keep the iPod app updated?

1. Yes!

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No Way!

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Impossible to say if your not Steve Jobs!

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I have been wondering how long we will get software updates that add functionality that new iPods have?

I know Apple added Genius when it was introduced for the iPhone but let's say in two or three years will we as iPhone users get functions that the new iPods will have then? Obviously they can't add things that are hardware related but things that comes with software?

What's your take on this?

2. walnuts macrumors 6502

I think its reasonable to guess that minor updates to the iphone/ipod software will continue to be available for free or small fee (sorry ipod touch people) until one of the two happens:

• They release hardware that is better at a level that one would expect that new software would require the newer hardware (i.e. faster processor or more ram)
    • They release a major software update significant enough that they feel its worth charging for (analogous to a 10.4 to 10.5 OS X upgrade) (and then of course it would cost something for legacy users to upgrade)

The both would introduce a complication to the app store. The app store would have to establish clear requirements for each app (which software, which hardware model, everyone would have to decide whether to code to be backwards compatible or just go for new stuff and take advantage of potential new features in the os (like copy and paste if ever available)).

3. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah that's probably how it's going to turn out, i just hope they don't completely screw us over.
    But they probably won't seeing that they added Genius playlists to the iPhone.