iPad mini Will Apple kill 1st gen iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tiger8, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

I wonder if we are seeing a trend where Apple is killing last year products if the math did not add up for them. (iPad 3 and iPhone 5). With the mini reportedly expensive to make due to its finish and tiny package, do you think they will kill first generation mini rather than reduce its price once they introduce the next one?

I always thought Apple selling a product for $249 or so is too good to be true.

2. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

I would expect them only to offer the 1st gen as refurbished after the 2nd gen comes out.... but who knows?

3. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

They could do the mini and mini pro or mini with retina or something

4. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I think they will keep it and have the mini retina along side it with the original dropping to $299

5. g35 macrumors 6502a

Respectfully, if the retina is $329 I don't think a single person would buy the old one at $299

6. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

ROTFLMAO! Yeah you are right! Meant to say $229 :D Big difference.

7. Tiger8 thread starter macrumors 68020

But that's the question, Tim Cook reported that iPad mini margin is already less than Apple's typical margins, what makes us think that they will keep first generation mini with a $100 or even $70 discount?

I have a strong feeling it will be discontinued (just like iPhone 5 and iPad 3).

8. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I'm fairly certain they will keep the current one at the same price, and release a Retina for $399. And according the Kuo they might refresh the "non-retina" one early 2014. They've done that with the full sized iPads, Macbook Pro's, and now iPhone's too. Kept a cheap one around, and also a retina option.

If they don't do that, they'd just replace the current one with retina flat out. But that's not likely, imo.

9. James717 macrumors regular

Or a Mini C and a Mini S.

Sounds perfect (snicker)

----------

$229 for a 256 memory?

I'm not a fan of Nexus 7, but a bit of common sense would say that an Apple for $229 is a great deal, but still a very dated great deal.

Good luck tho. No one will ever know since the outside looks exactly the same as the upcoming mini

10. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Lol no need to even joke about this. iOS7 can't run on less than 1/2GB memory. The next retina will get 1GB ram for sure

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I think it will be discontinued and the black & slate model will be replaced with the new Space Grey. And I think the new Space Grey is a part of a reason why they won't keep the old gen.

12. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I think they would kill it as 2 iPad minis and 2 full size iPads might be getting a bit much. Think it's about time for non-retina iPads to go.

13. dirtymagician macrumors newbie

Based on what happened at the iphone event (sorry the Elvis Costello concert) Im expecting there to be 4 ipad launches in October

The iPad Mini C (the original ipad mini with a plastic back and perhaps a bigger battery)
    The iPad Mini 2 (or 1s) with a retina screen, bigger battery, better camera
    The ipad 4 will become the 4C (again plastic backed same internals)
    The iPad 5 with finger print scanner and better camera and one "unique feature"
    The ipad 2 will be retired

As for pricing
    The Mini C will a "new product" so will be the price it is now or drop £20
    The Mini 2 will be between £329 & £349
    The ipad 4 will again be a "new product" so will be the price it is now or drop £20
    The 5 will be £399 or £429 depending what "unique feature" they launch

Proberbly way off the mark but i was that disapointed in the iphone event i'd rather go towards the ipad feeling the same in the hope Apple will suprise me somehow

14. taptic macrumors 65816

taptic

I cannot imagine a very nice looking Space Gray iPad...

15. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Killing it sounds a bit harsh :) I think Apple will only be selling current models from here on out. Just as the iPad 3 was fazed out, so will the current Mini and iPad 4 disappear from the stores when the iPad Retina and iPad 5 makes there debut. As with the iPad 3 ..the remaining stock will be used for replacements and the rest will be sold as refurbished. JMHO :)

16. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Space gray looks like shi*...