Will Apple kill the WiFi-only iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bristleworm, Jan 14, 2011.

1. bristleworm macrumors 6502

bristleworm

This is just speculation. But in the stores I work the 3G model is bought much more frequently than the WiFi-only.
    What do you think? Could Apple kill off the WiFi model completely or perhaps just keep a 16 GB model and offer something like 32, 64, and 128GB 3G models. This could allow them to keep up with consumer demand. Less different products allow for increased production of those.

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I know 7 people who have an ipad. All are WIFI only.

So probably not.

Plus its a cheaper product

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Simple answer: no. I hope Apple doesn't remove the home-button either.

4. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I have an ip4 with a mobile data allowance. I bought the wifi only ipad for that very reason.

I'd be vexed if they stopped making it.

5. bristleworm thread starter macrumors 6502

bristleworm

That's interesting, all of my friends who own an iPad have a 3G model.
    About the cheaper price point, as I speculated in the original post, they could still offer the WiFi model for something like 399 and then add the more pricey 3G models.
    But as I said, it's only speculation and I was interested in your thoughts about it.

6. chris566 macrumors regular

Absolutely not. The few people that I know that bought an iPad went for the wifi only. To me, the iPad is something I only use in the home. The only time my iPad leaves my house is if I'm flying somewhere. My ip4 is my mobile device. If I do take the iPad somewhere and really need a connection on 3G, I'd just tether off the ip4.

The 3G is nice and convenient, But I didn't think that I should pay for two seperate at&t 3G accounts since I have the iPhone already....even though the iPad's 3G coverage is optional.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If AT&T allows the MiFi (or is it MyFi?) feature, then expect the opposite. I don't want a 3G model because I am VERY opposed to paying more for another 3G connection since I carry my iPhone all of the time. At least with that option I wouldn't have to drop another $130 on the hardware. I still think the charge for a connection would be stupid, but that's at least $130 in hardware I don't have to spend.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If they did, then I'd not buy the iPad 2. The cost of the 3G models are just too expensive.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well they don't have to charge any more for them.

The actual price of the phone bit is next to nothing.

10. bristleworm thread starter macrumors 6502

bristleworm

I don't know how much the components cost. But don't forget that the current 3G models also carry a GPS chip.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think they will get rid of the wi-fi iPad.

12. Zcott macrumors 68020

On the contrary, I think we'll see a larger demand in wifi iPads because of the iPhone's new personal hotspot feature negating the need for a constant 3G connection on the iPad.

13. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Heck, no that is their bread and butter model. Most users buy the wifi.

14. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

With the new hotspots feature the 3G version won't be needed if you have an iPhone, so I would buy the WiFi version if available (though I think i'm not buying the iPad 2, i'm happy with mine).

15. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Bingo. If anything, I see this.