Will Apple laser engrave the iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ars Diaboli, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Ars Diaboli macrumors member

Do you think that Apple will offer laser engraving for the new iPhone? They do on some of the ipods, so I have to think that they will. The back of the phone seems to have ample room for a laser engraving, but I don't know if it is the right material? Any ideas?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Ta-daaa!

Somebody asked an original question! Yeaaa! Tooot!

All ebullience aside, that's unknown, but I'm pretty sure I'd go for it. At least I'd take it to a laser-engraving place, because I don't want to wait for Apple to ship the dem thing to me!

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I don't know...the back looks like the stuff the iPod Nano(2G only), Shuffle(2G only) and Mini were/are made out of, and they offer it on the Nano(2G) and Shuffle (2G), not sure about the Mini, but if they didn't it wasn't before it couldn't be done.

4. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Good way to catch thieves if police ever find the bastard that stole your]iPhone....

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Good if you want to put your house phone number so those few honest people who find your phone will call and return it.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Or you could put the iPhone's number on there, in case you forget it.:D

7. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

I'd put Verizon engraved on it and try and convince stupid people that Verizon does offer it.

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Considering it seems the iPhone won't be bought directly through Apple, I don't think they will engrave it.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

It can be bought from Apple Store or Cingular Store...I'd assume that means online store aswell, which would make ingraving very possible

10. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

I thought you could though, I think that was in their list of requests for a carrier. So if you can buy it direct I bet you could have it done.

11. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Seems like they would. You can laser engrave pretty much any surface -- even wood. You just have to adjust the power.

As popular as the engraving was on the iPod, it seems crazy to me not to offer it on the iPhone as well.

12. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I really hope so. It would be REALLY cool!!! I would get something engraved for sure!

The Stig

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Being ultra-cynical here for a moment, that could be a little risky. If your phone is stolen, or found by someone more unscrupulous, they presumably would be able to get your name off the phone itself, and would have your phone number. Depending on where you live, they might be able to get an address from that.

Call you up, ask to meet you somewhere, and they'll have a house - presumably with a lot of gadgets in it - and they know you'll be out.

(Of course, if your address is in the iPhones phone book, they already have this... ;) )

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Mine: I had two grand in my pocket and all you stole was this! Sucker!

15. Ars Diaboli thread starter macrumors member

In store laser engraving?

Does apple do engraving instore or does it just have to be an online purchase?

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Better run fast before they turn it over....

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Or they could just walk up to a house with a nice car, wait for it the car to leave, and break it.

18. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

I dont think if they offered engraving on my Treo that I would take them up on that offer, I kind of always look at things as something I might want to sell in the future, and if my phone had something personal written on the back then it might be hard to sell...Then again I dont think I'd ever sell a first gen iPhone. ;)

Just imagine a few decades from now, opening up an old box and showing your grand kids what the first iPhone looked like. They'll be like "No way! You used to have to use your fingers to dial?!"

19. islandman macrumors 6502

Most likely! I would probably find something cool to put on mine.

20. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

If Apple can engrave the back a Mini, I am more than sure they can engrave an iPhone. Hell for what it cost they should be able to do more than engrave it for you.

21. davish macrumors member

Haha

Love Top Gear a bit too much? Or do you really have 3 nipples and upside down genitals?!

Not sure guys...if you know at the moment, engravings are about 1/4 of the way from the top of ipods, right (bar the ipod shuffle)?
    The iPhone has wacked a nice big :apple: logo just there...sure they could change it, but they didn't change iTV when it came to :apple:TV that much did they? Could be wrong of course...

EDIT: Could put it below the logo I suppose--just suggesting here....

Attached Files:

22. davish macrumors member

Hey does your quote at the bottom mean 'Now I know how to hold light', and does your name mean 'Art of the Devil'?

I did Latin GCSE a year early and haven't done it in yonks--wanted to see if I still had it!

Sorry for being so cool and posting this randomly!

23. Whistleway macrumors 6502

haha..

24. shoveland macrumors newbie

Didn't laser engraving kind of become less popular as of late? It seems like people had begun to figure out that trying to sell an iPod with "UltimateShitter" on the back affects resale value :D