Will Apple lower prices again?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ag29, Oct 29, 2016.

1. ag29, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016

ag29 macrumors 6502

When Apple first released the retina macbook pro they were priced high and after a while Apple came out with newer models that were cheaper and faster.

Article : http://www.macworld.com/article/202...rices-on-macbook-pro-with-retina-display.html

Do you think this will happen again? If so, it may be better to wait and buy a mac later.

I will be pretty angry if I spend $1,799 on a mac right now just because I want the touch bar, and then in a year it turns out the base model goes down to $1,299 and it includes the touch bar.

2. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

Only Apple knows for sure, but I would say that's most likely the case.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Since no one here knows you might try asking Apple directly and then come back and let us know what they told you.

4. Yaemon macrumors regular

Yaemon

IMHO best case scenario it might be up to $200 less on the next refresh (Kaby Lake, 9-12 months later). Worst case scenario it'll be way longer for the next update (>12 months), but there might still be a chance for a slight price drop.

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

The answer is NO!

You better get used to it: it's the new Apple bought to you by Tim Cook.

The MacBook Retina was expensive when it was first released because of the Retina screen, so that was understandable.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

6 months. That always happens with new apple kit. If it was just a refresh it wouldn't get less pricey. I'm glad they got rid of the air tbqh... It is irrelevant right now. It was a great machine from 2010 to 2016 but now is the era of the Pro line.

7. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Apple will lower prices if they get lazy in iteration again (e.g. don't upgrade the processor, etc. for a long time).
    Who knows though, for example, they could keep the same prices next year and upgrade the processors. If you need a laptop then buy one. If you don't need it then don't buy one.

8. Domen151 macrumors regular

I think they will, but probably not next year yet. But in a couple of years, the prices will probably get to the same level as they were for 2015 MBP (assuming they wont change the design or add significant new features in the next 4 years, as usual). The Air and rMBP were pretty expensive at first, but the price got better over years, and I believe that they will do the same for this new lineup: MB 12 under 1100$ and MBP with Touch Bar under 1500$.