Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2014
When Apple first released the retina macbook pro they were priced high and after a while Apple came out with newer models that were cheaper and faster.

Article : http://www.macworld.com/article/202...rices-on-macbook-pro-with-retina-display.html

Do you think this will happen again? If so, it may be better to wait and buy a mac later.

I will be pretty angry if I spend $1,799 on a mac right now just because I want the touch bar, and then in a year it turns out the base model goes down to $1,299 and it includes the touch bar.

Last edited:

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia

Yaemon

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
IMHO best case scenario it might be up to $200 less on the next refresh (Kaby Lake, 9-12 months later). Worst case scenario it'll be way longer for the next update (>12 months), but there might still be a chance for a slight price drop.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
The answer is NO!

You better get used to it: it's the new Apple bought to you by Tim Cook.

When Apple first released the retina macbook pro they were priced high and after a while Apple came out with newer models that were cheaper and faster.

The MacBook Retina was expensive when it was first released because of the Retina screen, so that was understandable.

Reactions: wlossw and apolloa

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
6 months. That always happens with new apple kit. If it was just a refresh it wouldn't get less pricey. I'm glad they got rid of the air tbqh... It is irrelevant right now. It was a great machine from 2010 to 2016 but now is the era of the Pro line.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Apple will lower prices if they get lazy in iteration again (e.g. don't upgrade the processor, etc. for a long time).
Who knows though, for example, they could keep the same prices next year and upgrade the processors. If you need a laptop then buy one. If you don't need it then don't buy one.

Domen151

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014
I think they will, but probably not next year yet. But in a couple of years, the prices will probably get to the same level as they were for 2015 MBP (assuming they wont change the design or add significant new features in the next 4 years, as usual). The Air and rMBP were pretty expensive at first, but the price got better over years, and I believe that they will do the same for this new lineup: MB 12 under 1100$ and MBP with Touch Bar under 1500$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.