Will Apple lower the price point on the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kipnosky, Feb 28, 2011.

1. kipnosky macrumors member

I think they will. With a horde of competitors nipping at them and with the advantage of volume purchasing power, they certainly can. Especially if their strategy is to capture a broad-based mass market.

2. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Nope. I wouldn't be surprised if the memory doesn't increase either. But the new features (cameras, gyro and faster processors)will come of course and that will be enough for them to justify no price decrease.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't think they will lower prices. If anything, they might even cut out the 16gb version.

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Well of course they will (cut out the 16GB model, that is). Base will almost certainly start at 32GB.

5. Applenewstoday macrumors regular

Applenewstoday

I doubt it. We still have 2GB and 8GB iPods. I would hope they would make a 128GB iPad, but I doubt they will get rid of the 16GB

6. poloponies macrumors 68030

No.

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

That may be true. However, Apple could also simplify the lineup by axing the 16GB model and offering simply two sized options, starting at 32GB, much how like the iPhone business model only has two size options currently.

8. Davichi macrumors 6502

Are we talking about same company who decided to keep MBP at only 1280X800 resolution and offer only 2GB ram on MBA as standard?

Apple is not generous people. They want you to open more wallets. 16GB is here to stay.

9. Liberal macrumors member

While it would be great to see lower price points, the prices, as they stand, are quite reasonable and I think they're here to stay.

10. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

The only thing that they might (just might) make cheaper is the 3G version. Currently, it's $130 more than the WiFi version.

This time around, they could make it only $100 more. Although very doubtful.

11. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

That'd dissapoint many. The 16GB model is supposedly their best selling model so it wouldn't make sense to droP it unless the new 32GB iPad matched the current 16GB's price. I'd be pleased if they did so but I can't imagine they would. The current iPod touch is sold in 8, 32 and 64GB model, leaving out the 16GB which would seem most economical for most. This only shows Apple can be unpredictable and we can't assume on this.

12. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

No, thats exactly what I meant. 2 sizes, starting at 32GB at $499. Would be nice, I agree.

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    well i remember reading a rumor on MR maybe around May time of last year stating that Apple was prepared to lower the price of the iPad if they needed to. I guess in case the sales weren't so hot they could drop the price $100 (my estimate).

If this turns out to be a moderate update (no retina, no NFC, no extra ports, etc) I wouldn't be surprised if apple decides to use the price-competitive angle and lower the entry price to $400. Can you imagine if you can get an iPad for $400 and the closest android tablets are still being priced around $800??

14. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

doubtful that will lower price...not really part of their strategy usually..

15. Cagle macrumors regular

iPad 16gb - $429
    iPad 32gb - $529
    iPad 64gb - $629

iPad 16GB + 3G - $549

and so on...

a solid rival to the iPad is round the corner and it could come down to which one is cheapest. apple did say they have capacity to lower the price; much better to do it at a formal release presentation, instead of dropping the price in a few months when competition becomes stiffer. that would look slightly desperate

16. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

iPad 2 will be costing somewhere between 299-350.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Wow.

How does it feel to be so sure of something that you can't possibly be so sure of?