Will Apple Mail delete all messages in my gmail account?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Euro-Canadian, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Euro-Canadian macrumors newbie

I had a hotmail account and about a month ago apple mail deleted all my messages from the hotmail account, therefore I am unable to access any of them from anywhere else except my mac.

I learned that that was due to me leaving the box "remove copy from server after retrieving a message." Now I fixed that and moved to gmail, as I was able to upload all hotmail messages to my gmail account through tuhunderbird.

Since I am not a big fan of Thunderbird as it is giving me some password issues, today I set up the gmail imap (I think) accunt on my apple mail, but there is no box "remove copy from server after retrieving a message" for gmail in prefrences, just for hotmail.

Now I am scared, will apple mail delete all my messages from the gmail server, and if it will, how do I prevent it from doing so?

Thank You
    Viktor

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

No. because if you do it by IMAP you're not "pulling" the messages off the server per se, you're kinda updating as you go.

So if you delete a message in the Mail app, the message will be marked as Trash on Gmail's servers, etc.

Here's a good guide on how to set up IMAP properly though: Click

3. Euro-Canadian thread starter macrumors newbie