Will apple make a 2-1 laptop

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ron20, May 7, 2015.

1. Ron20 macrumors member

Ok i am looking into 2-1s or laplets (tablet and laptop) right now i have a big 17.3" toshiba laptop its a little old and slow. i know ipad can have a keyboard but not want i want i want to replace my laptop competely. And I love macs ui vs ipad (reminds me of an over sized iPhone/ipod

Toshiba has 2 a laplet and a 2-1 laptop both will do what i need

But i would love to have a mac again. Had a base model in high school 13" i loved it but those are costly.

Thanks for the help

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Considering the popularity of iOS and OS X as is, I don't believe Apple will do a 2 in 1.

The simple fact is, a 2 in 1 is neither better than an iPad (less mobile) nor better than a macbook (Less power). Apple only introduces new hardware types (a la iPad) in situations where the new device has something it does best.

An iPad is more portable than a mac and easier to read than an iPhone.

A 2 in 1 is a hefty iPad and an underpowered Mac.

3. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I think the iPad pro would be the closest thing. Rumored 12 inch screen with stylus support. Will probably bridge some gaps between iOS and OS X

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I present to you the Surface 3.

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Except that's not better than a Mac or an iPad at anything. Keep trying, though.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have little experience with Surface tablets, but did have a somewhat humorous(indirect) experience with one the other day.

Every year, our department brings in a high profile chemist(usually a Nobel Laureate, or someone we think has the potential to win a Nobel prize) to take to the Derby and then give a series of talks.

This year, our speaker was Graham Cooks from Purdue.

He showed up with a Surface to give his first talk, and about halfway through the presentation the display on the screen cut out. This kept happening, and finally someone had to go up and hold the cable in the "just right" position to keep the presentation on the screen(and even that was touchy). At one point during the talks, he said "This is a Surface. I recommend that you don't buy one."

For the following day's talk, he used the Macbook Pro that's more or less permanently fixed in the auditorium(albeit running Windows) and had no issues.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I beg to differ, but will leave it at that because we know very well that continuing down this route will be fruitless.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I came into this thread expecting to see a good nerd fight.

Don't disappoint me. :mad:

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

I doubt it. Apple doesn't want to cannibalize Mac sales with iPads that can double as a computer. The closest thing now is probably the newest Macbook. Similar in weight and size to an iPad but is a full computer running OS X.

The Surface has largely been a failure for Microsoft.

10. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I don't think Apple will make a 2 in 1 device. I could be wrong, but as others have posted it would disrupt the product line and really not be a useful device overall. Look at what your core needs are a make a purchase based on that.

11. Ron20 thread starter macrumors member

Ya i could buy a mac but since I enjoy tablets with space (hdd) of a computer it makes sense to me for a 2-1... Using my buddies ipad while laying on the couch is nice vs a laptop (mac air) also his

Aside from price i can get a mac (or regular laptop and an ipad)
    http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/Click2Pro/P30W-BST2N01

Or something like this has more ram, big screen and space for less
    http://m.toshibadirect.com/product/detail/us/computers/laptops/satellite/Radius/P50W-BST2N01

Plus these offer sleep in charge (i love this) and sleep in music(can play music through laptop while its off or sleeping) I know the second one does...

To me its useful, i hope they could offer a ipad with osX ui in landscape mode and regular os in portrait. (Thats what i like) windows 8 does something like that

Ok let me ask yall this for those that have an ipad do yall use it more then a laptop? My use isnt for work.. I would be getting the biggest size my 6+ s 64gb and i got 32gb or so remaining. After videos could be less.

Idk guys i love a mac but love being able to lay in my bed and use a tablet, or on a trip even.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see apple doing this, due to the cannibalization of the other product lines. Build a tablet/laptop and you impact what is already a poor perform for apple, i.e., its iPads. Plus they generate way too much money from iOS sales and services. They really don't want to endanger that cash flow.

I use a Surface Pro 3, and its a great computer, but I can't see apple doing something similar, it seems outside of where they want to go as a company.

13. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I have been watching this product category for quite a while now.

I work in the natural resources field and have been looking at capturing and handling data collection digitally for several years. We have had a few starts and stops, but at the end of six years we are still using carbon forms and clipboards.

Apple has a history of holding back in a product line until they can blow everyone else out of the water. The 2 in 1's just haven't really found their place in the market quite yet. They seem to be too heavy and fragile to be truly portable and too underpowered to be a good laptop. I don't think Apple is worried about cannibalization of their own market. I think they are worried about rolling out a product that is a game changer, that redefines the product category or at least adds something significant to the conversation. Look at the new MacBook. They could have rolled out an underpowered, low cost MacBook Pro any time, but they totally re-engineered it keyboard and all. Love it or hate it, it's something new.

I was playing with an HP Pro X3 the other day for our digital project. Our state IT department said another department had successfully deployed these in the field. Their idea was we could replace our laptops with these and save money. I was really disappointed. It was too heavy, too fragile, and the screen was too hard to read in full sun. The ports were exposed on the edge I would hold it meaning they would get gunked up with the oils and dirt off my hands. There was no case or straps available. I would be very unhappy carrying this thing through a tree nursery for 4 or 5 hours. (I think IT's definition of "field" and mine are two totally different things...) Put it in the office and it was terribly underpowered. A few of our guys do a lot of GIS work. These things would choke on our graphics needs.

So far, iPads or some Android tablet comes the closest to fulfilling our needs in the field. I have been rooting for iPads or iPhone 6+'s but IT has been rather Apple-phobic. (And Tim Cooks comments about a recent Indiana political issue didn't help matters, frankly.)

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I don't see Apple doing this either.