Will apple make Cinema / Thunderbolt displays as thin as the new iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by carmeyeii, May 16, 2013.

1. carmeyeii macrumors newbie

Is there any talk of this being released soon?

I want to buy a display for home, but perhaps I should wait, as the thickness of the actual displays looks "old" compared to the thinness of the iMac...

thanks!

2. linds15 macrumors 6502a

assumption is yes...eventually. no rumours of when or parts yet. if you want a mount and don't care about usb 3.0 then might as well get one now if you're in need

3. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Most def. their pattern has always been aesthetics being rated at the highest.

It's a shame because the old design has room for more stuff... A HDD bay, a Optical Drive bay, better speakers and so on..

4. Nemic macrumors member

I am totally convinced that they will release a slimmer Thunderbolt display, and I expect the display to come with USB 3.0.

However, these are my expectations, and I have no actual proof that this will happen.

I would also expect it to come with VESA mount capability. However like the current iMacs you may have to choose either a stand or a VESA mount, but not both.

I expect that they will be announced around the same time as the new Mac Pro.

Once again purely my expectations :)

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

This is exactly my expectations as well.

/Jim

6. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Me too, it seems quite logical. We may be surprised with one at WWDC, we might not. Only time will tell!

7. thedeske macrumors 6502a

+2 - Seems obvious. Now that the 27 iMac panel is under control, it's just a matter of timing. Something to go with the New Mac Pro has to happen.

8. cxc273 macrumors regular

I agree with the previous posters. A thinner Thunderbolt display that takes its design cues from the current iMacs is pretty much a given.

Of course, when is really the question. An announcement at WWDC, along with updated MacBooks, would be the most logical time. I haven't heard anything solid about a Mac Pro replacement, but again, WWDC seems like the best place to announce that as well.

Another question is the matter of ports. Will the new display pretty much keep the same ports except upgrade USB from 2 to 3, or will it see the addition of a second Thunderbolt port, loss of FireWire, or other things? Frankly, I'm not sure if Apple will keep supporting FireWire on the next-gen display. I think they would add a second Thunderbolt port and make users buy an adapter. I would, however, welcome the addition of a headphone jack on the back of the new display.

9. maxosx macrumors 68020

I know Apple all too well to predict its next move, or to set expectations.

I just buy the products they make, that suit my needs.

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The current display already has two ports. One is in the pigtail (and is non-powered).

Given that it is a daisy chain architecture... I would be surprised to see a 3rd port.

/Jim

11. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I expect it to be announced along side the new mac pro's.

12. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

And hopefully they will add USB 3.0 and HDMI similar to their MBP.

13. linds15 macrumors 6502a

this would be ideal, hope thats what we get

14. Corato macrumors newbie

It would be a real surprise if they announce the new display with 4K TV possible from built in Apple TV

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple seems obsessed with thinness, they made the rMBP, Phone 5, Pad 4 and of course the iMac thinner. I'd say the odds are high that a new ACD will be thinner as well.

My $.02, is that its ridiculous to make the iMac as thin as they did. So now you have a bulge in the back that looks ugly, even if the edges are razor thin. What's the advantage of the iMac being so thin? Its not like you move it or carry it - Its a desktop computer. I can see the case being made for the laptop, iPhone and iPad being thin but a desktop. This carries over to the ACD since this too will be just sitting on a desk, why make it so thing but have a bulbous bulge in the rear.

16. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

The bulge at the back isn't that bad actually i think it looks quite good when you consider the design as a whole, and the current imac is actually almost the same thickness as the previous imac at its thickest point.

To me it does make a difference as i think it looks much nicer and more simple than the previous design. Also i think the reason they removed the edge is because without the optical drive it would be almost pointless to have and empty side with little purpose which would be against Ives design philosophy.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It seems gimmicky to me, like they're trying to sell computers based on sex appeal:rolleyes:. Then again that seems to be their MO. It makes more sense on the notebooks, but people on here have truly weird opinions at times. Some of them refer to the 15" cmbp as lacking portability, which I find to be nonsensical given that I used to transport one regularly and a G4 powerbook prior to that. The thing that I find silliest is that they managed to make it thinner without actually decreasing its overall footprint. The glare reduction seems nice. I cannot understand why they haven't taken hints from NEC and added some amount of drift and uniformity compensation. There are a lot of functional things they could still improve with respect to display quality regardless of who makes the underlying panel.

18. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

Apple have always been about design and now that Ive is taking a bigger role at apple, its showing (a good thing to me). The change is obviously purely about a better looking design. You also can't seriously think that apple would take hints from NEC products, they are two completely different companies targeting two different customers.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You call them hints. I said they could incorporate similar technology without the use of cables. Apple has always been about turning niche concepts into mass market ones, and they have shown an increased focus on display quality lately. NEC targets an incredibly wide range of customers. They make professional quality displays, displays for offices, turnkey systems for other hardware vendors, tileable displays for trade shows. I said Apple could could do something similar to what they've done with colorcomp given that the imacs and thunderbolt displays leverage a fairly wide range of customers. I don't think it matters who is following who in that sense.

Edit: It doesn't even have to be the same exact thing. I used it for an example. Apple could improve on that aspect of the displays however they choose to accomplish it.

20. Baklava macrumors 6502a

Baklava

:)

21. CalebLevArn macrumors member

It might even be a bit thinner than the iMac.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is extremely unlikely. Like the prior cinema display, it's likely to take the shell of the imac. Apple doesn't tend to make extra designs. It would also make them match again. I suspect they didn't debut them side by side due to a higher initial cost with the updated screen treatment.

23. CalebLevArn macrumors member

I thought the 2011 TB display was much thinner than the 2011 iMac when looking at them side by side at best buy a while back.