Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Before you just jump in and say no, think about it. Apple has constantly been making the iPod thinner and thinner over the years, and that has extended to the Touch. But at what point is it too thin?

The current iPod Touch is the thinnest iPod ever of the major models (iPod Classic, iPod Touch). But it looks like the technology is finally catching up. There are features, primarily a camera, that don't fit inside the Touch's current form factor (and people might say the 3.2 MP camera does fit, but I can't see Apple releasing anything less than 5....It's 5 or bust in my mind....You can't justify 3.2 when the iPhone has 5....and "It's too thin" doesn't fly for consumers).

If there are going to be cameras in the next iPod, it's going to need to be thicker. So will Steve do it? I honestly don't think people care that the iPod is so thin, I think they'd buy it even if it was as thick as the iPhone (which it would never be, but just a point).

I could see Steve using his Reality Distortion Field to make the iPod sound super thin, while ignoring the fact that it's thicker than the previous model. Anyone think it will happen?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Honestly, I hope so. I love the feel of my first gen, and the second/third are just too thin for me to hold on to comfortably, and I don't even have big hands.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Honestly, I hope so. I love the feel of my first gen, and the second/third are just too thin for me to hold on to comfortably, and I don't even have big hands.

My hands are huge :-/ I think they'll make it the same size as the iPhone 4 so we'll have cases to have when it releases.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
Actually at 8mm the 1st gen touch was 0.5mm thinner than the current design. I don't think the next one will be thinner but if it gets squared off like the iPhone 4.0 and manages a camera etc the hype will be "We added all these extra features and still managed to keep it just 8.5mm thin."

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
I hope to God they just make an iPod touch with the form factor of the iphone 4 and that gorgeous camera.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I wouldn't object to a thicker form if that meant a larger battery that improved life during surfing and gaming.

And I, too, find mine more comfortable to hold when it's inside its case.

DraziGuy

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
I concur. Give it the iPhone 4's styling and camera and it's a no brainer for me. Even if it was slightly thicker, it still fits in my pocket just fine.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
I wouldnt know if i would prefer the feel of the 1st gen, well, because I've never "handled" one. I dont really mind the feel of the 2nd/3rd gen. I really want the iPhone 4 design, so we can have cases, and it should be cheaper because all the parts dont have to be so small which is more expensive than large. It wont have all the cellular parts, GPS, etc.

SlovakApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
In the heart of Europe
I like the design of the 3rd more than the design of the 1st, but would really appreciate the design of the iPhone 4 - something new. Of course if they put camera in it, it has to be thicker.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
I like the design of the 3rd more than the design of the 1st, but would really appreciate the design of the iPhone 4 - something new. Of course if they put camera in it, it has to be thicker.

Hmmmmmm... Not really, but it most likely will be, the iPhone 4 design would be nice so we have some more cases.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
I do not think they will make it the same size as the iphone they will try to make it similar to how it is now. they defo not just use the same parts as the iphone.

as for cases I hate them, naked beauty all the way, I especially dont want them to make it fat for the sake of some cases

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
I do not think they will make it the same size as the iphone they will try to make it similar to how it is now. they defo not just use the same parts as the iphone.

as for cases I hate them, naked beauty all the way, I especially dont want them to make it fat for the sake of some cases

ok..... Uhhmmmm... Some people like cases so that theyre $200/$300/$400 investment doesnt break.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
ok..... Uhhmmmm... Some people like cases so that theyre $200/$300/$400 investment doesnt break.

they rarely stop it from breaking just prevent the back getting all scratched up (unless a piece of dirt makes its way under), but horses for courses I'm on the side of nakedness :)

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
they rarely stop it from breaking just prevent the back getting all scratched up (unless a piece of dirt makes its way under), but horses for courses I'm on the side of nakedness :)

It might just make the difference!

Zay1993

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Whitehorse, Yukon.
I wouldnt know if i would prefer the feel of the 1st gen, well, because I've never "handled" one. I dont really mind the feel of the 2nd/3rd gen. I really want the iPhone 4 design, so we can have cases, and it should be cheaper because all the parts dont have to be so small which is more expensive than large. It wont have all the cellular parts, GPS, etc.

Hmm so a new generation of iPod touches with considerable advances in features, and it'll be cheaper than the current generation? Sorry I just don't see that happening. Even if only one upgrade from the iPhone 4 made it into the next Gen touches, such as the new display, how would they be able to make it cheaper for more? Sorry it just doesn't make any sense at all. If you can't afford a base 299$ 4th generation than get a job or start doing a LOT of chores. Not trying to start another price war but I wanted to point that out.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Hmm so a new generation of iPod touches with considerable advances in features, and it'll be cheaper than the current generation? Sorry I just don't see that happening. Even if only one upgrade from the iPhone 4 made it into the next Gen touches, such as the new display, how would they be able to make it cheaper for more? Sorry it just doesn't make any sense at all. If you can't afford a base 299$ 4th generation than get a job or start doing a LOT of chores. Not trying to start another price war but I wanted to point that out.

I didnt mean cheaper than the 3rd gen, i meant cheaper in general.

Oh, and thanks for making me feel terrible about my life. :eek:

Zay1993

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Whitehorse, Yukon.
I didnt mean cheaper than the 3rd gen, i meant cheaper in general.

Oh, and thanks for making me feel terrible about my life. :eek:

I meant cheaper than current 3rd gen prices which is most likely the prices the 4th gen will adopt when they are released. Even if it did get cheaper than 299$ it would only go down slightly. How would a 20$ difference matter to much?

Not sure if that last part is a joke but working for things you want makes it so much better when you can buy it with your own hard earned money.

iMac0765

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Thicker? This is Apple were talking about! HELL NO.

Unless they make the new design more beveled than the current one... That will really throw people off... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.