Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akidd

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
Tunbridge Wells, UK
LOL. You must be young. They said the same thing about: removing floppy drive, removing optical drive, removing magsafe, removing headphone jack etc. etc.

As for how you connect to a mac w/o a cable, you can do that now easily from Xcode. When we write code and want to run it on our devices, it wirelessly transfers and can be controlled from the mac without wires. Just uses bluetooth/wifi. The "slow internet" isn't relevant since the connection is peer-to-peer.

"The sole reason would be greed" is an uninformed statement. There are lots of good reasons to get rid of the port. Lower cost, more room for battery, more resistance to water and dust, remove a point of failure, etc. etc. More proof that it is an uninformed statement is the rest of your sentence "to sell their dongles and cables." This gets RID of dongles and cables. Just sit your iPhone next to your mac, and you're good to go. Heck, you don't even have to be nearby if you are on the same wifi network.
[doublepost=1521493864][/doublepost]

"right now" is the key (and it's not quite accurate - there are volumetric charging technologies). And if everywhere you go there is a charging pad, you're fine. And there is already a power bank that uses wireless charging, so you aren't out of luck if you are moving around, either.
Bit harsh on jlp. There are so many places that will not have wifi (and Internet) so Cloud updates cannot be relied on.
So every hotel is going to but a charger in every room? Eh, no. And one that works with 98% of phones? No again.
Until then, there is no problem with a cable.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
"right now" is the key (and it's not quite accurate - there are volumetric charging technologies). And if everywhere you go there is a charging pad, you're fine. And there is already a power bank that uses wireless charging, so you aren't out of luck if you are moving around, either.

If you stretch the time horizon indefinitely, sure, anything is possible.

But within the next 20 years, there are practical limitations for wireless charging.

Implementing room level wireless charging would require specially designed metal walls.

Similarly, a power bank with a wireless coil is limited in terms of practicality. Does Apple expect people to strap a 1lb power bank behind an iPhone?

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
LOL. You must be young. They said the same thing about: removing floppy drive, removing optical drive, removing magsafe, removing headphone jack etc. etc.

As for how you connect to a mac w/o a cable, you can do that now easily from Xcode. When we write code and want to run it on our devices, it wirelessly transfers and can be controlled from the mac without wires. Just uses bluetooth/wifi. The "slow internet" isn't relevant since the connection is peer-to-peer.

"The sole reason would be greed" is an uninformed statement. There are lots of good reasons to get rid of the port. Lower cost, more room for battery, more resistance to water and dust, remove a point of failure, etc. etc. More proof that it is an uninformed statement is the rest of your sentence "to sell their dongles and cables." This gets RID of dongles and cables. Just sit your iPhone next to your mac, and you're good to go. Heck, you don't even have to be nearby if you are on the same wifi network.
I know you can easily connect to a Mac without a cable as I said, that's not my point. You expect average Joe to know about Xcode and peer to peer tech? Or take the time to configure settings for a wireless transfer?

Take my dongles and cables statement out of my response, that made no sense and no idea why I worded it like that! My thought was they are keeping lightning around to sell their dongles, etc. Wireless charging however, that's an extra that no one actually needs. Yes I love wireless charging, just saying. I'm not disagreeing that not having a port would be simple to deal with. I'm opining that the vast majority of people would be turned off by not having any port whatsoever. This is different from floppy drives and CD, headphone jack...these aren't crucial features. Powering your phone is a pretty crucial task.

But yeah, I disagree with removing a crucial port so that automatically makes me a young naive idiot. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Bit harsh on jlp. There are so many places that will not have wifi (and Internet) so Cloud updates cannot be relied on.
So every hotel is going to but a charger in every room? Eh, no. And one that works with 98% of phones? No again.
Until then, there is no problem with a cable.

We are talking about connection between the phone and the computer. No internet is required. It doesn’t matter if you’re hotel has no wifi or internet. As long as the wifi and Bluetooth on your computer and phone are enabled they can talk to each other, regardless of whether you have any connection to the internet.
[doublepost=1521503495][/doublepost]
I know you can easily connect to a Mac without a cable as I said, that's not my point. You expect average Joe to know about Xcode and peer to peer tech? Or take the time to configure settings for a wireless transfer?

Take my dongles and cables statement out of my response, that made no sense and no idea why I worded it like that! My thought was they are keeping lightning around to sell their dongles, etc. Wireless charging however, that's an extra that no one actually needs. Yes I love wireless charging, just saying. I'm not disagreeing that not having a port would be simple to deal with. I'm opining that the vast majority of people would be turned off by not having any port whatsoever. This is different from floppy drives and CD, headphone jack...these aren't crucial features. Powering your phone is a pretty crucial task.

But yeah, I disagree with removing a crucial port so that automatically makes me a young naive idiot. :rolleyes:

When the time comes youwon’t have to know about Xcode or configure anything. Simply fire up iTunes and it will see your phone (that’s how it works in Xcode, btw). You don’t have to know anything about “peer to peer tech” any more than you have to know about peer to peer tech to use your AirPods.

Why is it you can all accept that your AirPods can automatically configure themselves to wirelessly connect to your mac, but somehow the thought of an iPhone doing that is black magic beyond the comprehension of any but the most advanced users?

It will be super trivially easy. Bring your brand new iphone near your mac. A thing pops up asking if you want to configure the mac to wirelessly connect to your phone. Now every time you fire up iTunes it sees your phone exactly as if a cable is connected. It’s not rocket science, apple already has all the pieces, and it already works for those of us who use Xcode.
[doublepost=1521503813][/doublepost]
If you stretch the time horizon indefinitely, sure, anything is possible.

But within the next 20 years, there are practical limitations for wireless charging.

Implementing room level wireless charging would require specially designed metal walls.

Similarly, a power bank with a wireless coil is limited in terms of practicality. Does Apple expect people to strap a 1lb power bank behind an iPhone?

Oh come on. It can already be done - that’s what apple bought when it bought Energous.

As for the power bank, it does not need to “strap a 1lb power bank behind an iphone.” It’s quite practical. The emitting coil need be no bigger than existing pads (i.e. the width of the phone, squared) and no thicker.

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
@cmaier - I agree with all of your points above. Possibly others aren’t aware of what and how these things are already a possibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.