Will apple redesign the wall charger for iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hackintosh Sr., Jun 18, 2010.

1. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

Pointless chit chat. I wonder if they will do an updated wall charger (not that it really matters). I kind of was thinking about it because my new macbook pro has a new magsafe and not the old style.

Yes I'm bored.....

2. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

I hope they make the prongs on the charger fold on or retract. I'm always concerned when I put it in my luggage that the brutality that is air travel will snap the prongs right off.

3. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

We got a much thinner design in the UK with the 3G S. You might!

4. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

The original iPhone had a small USB charger that had a removable, retractable prong system much like the MacBook/Pro power adapters, but it was a little bit bulkier. I think they wanted maximum smallness with this one :(

5. Hackintosh Sr. thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh yes foldable prongs would be nice for sure good call

6. cowsrus macrumors 6502

wireless charging
    i walk into my room and it autocharges my phone unless i say otherwise
    by saying otherwise i mean voice activated controls on the charger
    it also makes coffee

7. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

would be nice, especially for travel like said.

8. Brymo macrumors regular

Funny. This is one of the first things I thought of when it was announced.

9. iamp macrumors newbie

Yes, would be really nice for travel.
    You walk into an airplane and it autocharges your phone unless it's serving you a drink.

10. dmx macrumors 6502

It won't happen, but it'd be cool if the color of the wall charger and cable would match the color of the phone you ordered.

11. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

my old iPod classic came with a foldable prong. Cant I just use that?

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If they were going to change the wall charger, Steve would have said “and one more thing…” at the WWDC. ;)

13. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Ive always thought it would be cool to have the prongs click out with a "push push" mechanism for people familiar...similar to a ballpoint pen clicker

14. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

Dobut it. Steve never mentioned that the white plastic around 30pin connecter got some baby fat removed or the white plastic over the USB got its round edges shaved off.

15. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

It's yet to be said if the new iPhone uses a different wattage than the previous ones. Like with the iPad -- you have to use the special iPad 10w power adapter to charge the iPad. The iPhone power brick won't work, not enough wattage. And you can't even charge the iPad on a pre-2009 Mac with USB2. Only 2009 or later model Macs can charge the iPad. I have a feeling it will be the same with the iPhone 4.

16. nickarate macrumors regular

Since wer just having idle chit chat, mind if I ask whether it is safe for me to plug my new iphone into the wall charger that came with my iPad?

17. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Well it's small enough and it's perfect so the only thing would be retractable prongs.

18. M87 macrumors 65816

I do it all the time with my 3GS.

19. No ice please macrumors 6502

Old 30 pin connector. Every time the cord would snag on my iphone, it would fly to the ground cause the new usb cable doesn't clip like the old one.

20. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I dont think Apple could make it any smaller...but who knows.

21. No ice please macrumors 6502

Also since it's using the A4 does it have to have 10w instead of the 5w the older iphone use?

22. drewby macrumors member

drewby

I just got my iPad yesterday with an additional power adapter and cable; side of the box for the power adapter says it can be used for iPad, iPods, and iPhones.

23. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Yes I use my iPad charging brick to charge both my iPad and my 2G iPhone. Works like a charm. No problem with the wattage requirement difference between the iPad and iPhone. However, the iPad won't charge off my 2007 model MacBook Pro, the USB2 on that unit doesn't provide enough power. The iPad charges just fine on my 2009 model Mac Mini, though. I know that's odd, but that's just how it is.

24. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

25. donbenjy macrumors 6502

Yeah, the rule is that you want the charger to be a higher maximum wattage than the device that you're charging/powering (assuming voltage supply is the same, as in all USB devices). If it is lower, like using an iphone charger with an ipad, and the device doesn't have an intelligent charging system, you risk drawing too much current and blowing a fuse/overheating the charger.

Same deal with macbook chargers - you can charge a macbook on a macbook pro charger, but don't do this the other way around, or the charger might set on fire!

The fact that its an A4 chip is irrelevant. The wattage depends on the charging capacity and current draw of the battery, not the processor. Both devices (probably) run off the same voltage, but clearly the ipad needs more power (wattage) for the larger screen etc, which is provided by a bigger battery.