Will Apple reduce storage upgrade prices, following the iPhone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blackvibes, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Blackvibes macrumors member

Lets keep it short, simple and of course: a bunch of speculation.

I just checked the price of the storage upgrade for the mbp 15" (256->512gb). Well, that costs simply €360 ($400~). Gotta say thats outrageous, but Lets don't. (Did it anyway :) )

Following the event of the iPhone, where the upgrade drom 128gb->256gb is just a mere €$100, could the storage upgrade of the new mbp 2016 be reduced in price?

Okay, gotta note down the storage is different, as they arent the same SSD type, but I think the theory has a point..

What do you think?

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

It costs what it does to replace the memory. This is m.2 packaging and it is expensive.

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I think/hope they will kill 128. The MB starts at 256. That might result in a small price increase, though.

That said, Apple could point to the optimized storage options in Sierra as justification for the same tiers. I did manage to recover 30 gigs after I installed it. I'll be disappointed, though, if after six years I don't get a storage bump.

4. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

I think it would be hard to release a "Pro" MacBook with only 128GB, considering the new MacBook starts at 256GB.

The Mac pricing of memory upgrades really is less about the cost of memory than "extracting" more money from those less sensitive about price. So they'll probably have the same price points with double the storage, as they did for the iPhone 7, updated 6s, and the iPads.

5. Blackvibes thread starter macrumors member

Sierra's optimized storage functionality is only a temporary fix for the situation. In a matter of time those 30GB will be filled again with cache or new files. I agree, this helps a bit to more efficiently use the space you've got. However, For those in need of more than the default 256GB of data, there is only one option and that is increasing the storage.

I wouldn't expect Apple doubled the base storage. Perhaps for the 13" models, 128->256, but The Macbook Pro 15" 2016 wouldn't come with 512GB by default. At least, I wouldn't expect it. However, if they'd decrease the cost of upgrade I might do that instead of buying the high end tier 15" for $600 more than the default model.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

They will or they won't, if they do then everyone will still complain about the upgrade costs, if they don't then everyone will bitch and moan a bit more.

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I think that 256 will be the base model, prices will remain or potentially increase similar to the iPhone. Is very unlikely that Apple will reduce the upgrade pricing as it has substantial additional margin on in-house upgrades and effectively no competition in the OS X environment.

If you cost minded an option is Seagate`s Wireless Plus, also very useful if your dealing with multiple systems. 2TB on the go is not too shabby and you can use it with Windows, OS X, Android etc. It`s not a perfect solution, however set up correctly it`s not too far off.

Q-6