Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
That is what We were trying taking a crack at before Comprehensive Design. Right now, there are still people who miss the old UI. I am one of those. There is a reason why 2/3 of my Apple devices are on iOS 6. As users, we should be able to select how our devices express our personality through UI

You can express your personality by selecting wallpapers quite easily. Beyond that, you can customise many other areas of the interface to fit your personal needs (not as much as on Android or Windows, but still to a fair degree). Giving users complete customisation over the UI is not a good idea and never has been, to put it bluntly, most people have no idea about any graphic design principles and it would easily ruin the user experience. Also let's be real, it's Apple.

If you really want to customise the interface, you can always jailbreak.

It has to be said as well that the vast majority of people prefer the new design language, these forums are not representative of what most people want.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
As we all see now, iOS 9 keeps everything from iOS 7 and 8 except San Francisco font and some icon changes. (I believe there should be other under the hood element changes though)
And in my view, I prefer this clean and a little bit bright ui. This gives me a quick impression of what a button should do. Unfortunately I still can see apps using skeuomorphism design, which looks quite outdated, except some which didn't update any more.

Design is a very subjective area, and it can differ from person to person. Sometimes two design represents two completely different understanding of an object. Apple has become a company with their own DNA. In this case, the grid homescreen, and round icons, fixed layout, is apple home screen DNA. Everyone see the home screen could say: hey, he is using an iPhone. That is a really unique point. If apple change their DNA, allow more customisation, I believe users could use icons to draw their own picture. ;). This is funny, but not common.

Therefore, I think, Apple should insist on this design concept, to make all apple products unique, and elegant. Then apple must limit the customisation of user interface. We can also say this is the DNA of apple culture.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That is what We were trying taking a crack at before Comprehensive Design. Right now, there are still people who miss the old UI. I am one of those. There is a reason why 2/3 of my Apple devices are on iOS 6. As users, we should be able to select how our devices express our personality through UI
Well I'm sure there were plenty of people not that crazy about iOS 1-6 design. Was everyone asking for the ability to choose their own UI design back then? I can't imagine there are that many people want to be messing around with skins and themes on their phone.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well I'm sure there were plenty of people not that crazy about iOS 1-6 design. Was everyone asking for the ability to choose their own UI design back then? I can't imagine there are that many people want to be messing around with skins and themes on their phone.
I think, Apple is going to meet with minimum requirements of the present, not much of the future. Changing theme should be cool, but now I even retain default sound theme on my windows machine, which does have the ability to change the whole interface of displaying many things.
That should be minimalism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.