Will Apple release a 4K Thunderbolt Cinema Display Soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Anto38x, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Anto38x macrumors regular

Anto38x

Hi there,

I have had my Apple 30inch Cinema Display now for going on 10 years and when it bought it first it was the most expensive screen I ever purchased at €2,300 approx.... it has served me so well... and still does.... but I want to upgrade as my screen is now set ay 100% brightness and it just seems to dull and flat compared to the newer 27" displays.... I had made my mind up last week until there was a posting about 10.9.3 giving full compatibility with 4K displays.... that made me stand back and wonder if I should wait.

I'm a principally and old skool graphic designer using QuarkXPress, Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator... I'm not really involved in video... but if I invest in something I try and research it as best I can and buy the latest technology so that it will serve me well for the next 8-10 years.

I have a mid/late MacPro 12 Core with 512GB SSD Drive, QTY 3 x 3TB Internal Drives + 32GB RAM. I'm going to hold off buying the new MacPro until more apps take advantage of the new processor architecture, so a new monitor is really something I want.

Originally I said I couldn't justify the $3999 or €2900 price tag for a screen.... but with 4K becoming more and more popular with consumers... could Apple release a monitor close to what I paid for my original monitor all those years ago ($3299 or €2300)... as if so... maybe I would go for it to have the very best and to have a future proof piece of hardware that will work with my new MacPro also when I take the plunge on that next year.

Any advice or comments most welcome.

Regards,
    Anthony MacCarthy
    Irish MacUser and MacAddict

2. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

A lot of people on this board have been playing the waiting game for a new Apple Display. I could really use one for my office (I have one at home and love it) but would hate to pay full price for an older model. However, there are some signs the wait is almost over. I read that the latest update to Mavericks addressed some of the issues with driving 4K monitors.

The March 7th update on the Macrumors ATD roundup page goes into more detail.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/07/os-x-10-9-3-retina-option-4k-displays/

3. gochi macrumors 6502

not this year, maybe next year, definitely the year after.