Will Apple Release an Apple TV with always on Siri?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by vpr611, Jun 7, 2018.

1. vpr611 macrumors member

vpr611

With Sonos releasing their Beam, and now Amazon now selling their Fire TV Cube, which is essentially an echo and Fire TV all in one single device do you think Apple would consider updating the Apple TV to include a small speaker to allow it to respond to hands-free Siri commands and control your TV?

Fire TV Cube: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBTFNV...174-499fb77648da&pf_rd_r=T04CNXGEZ9GHS0PAD3WH

Sonos Beam: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/beam.html

With both of these devices, it now seems that Apple TV leaves a lot to be desired.

2. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

I suspect it is unlikely Apple would combine ATV and HomePod.

Making ATV a HomeKit accessory that HomePod could control may be more likely.

3. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

I disagree. Both the Amazon & Beam are aimed at entry level systems.
    Firstly, Apple does things differently. They've brought out the very best streamer with THE BEST quality internal components. It's built to last. ATV2 from 2010 still work great for people. ATV 4K offers viable frame rate switching. It's a PRO LEVEL streamer.

Ask yourself why is the Amazon so cheap? Are they being kind by saying, we make it for 100 but we love our customer so much that we'll only make 10 dollars on it? Hell no, it's cheap because... it is cheap. Cheap components, short longevity before it fills a landfill. ALL companies want to make profit. THat's what they do. That's greed through capitalism and some people constantly buy into it.

Also BEAM is the most basic sounder ever. It's aimed at the cheaper end TV market. It doesn't have Dolby Atmos. It's a very simple basic design with sadly only ONE tweeter. Don't expect beautiful sound it come from it. And seriously, why would you want to talk to your TV??? Are we so incredibly unintelligent, that we can longer turn the TV volume down ourselves or use our brain to find a film?

These are new basic entry level things for someone who just wants something.

They are in a different world to the established Apple TV 4K. Amazon simply churn out products in the name of profit, just like the majority of the electrical industry. With Apple and Apple TV 4K, you get the impression that the crowd there are actually passionate about what they do, how they implement it, how it works long term. Just look at Apple TV 4K now...
    1. 4K Dolby VISION
    2. 4K HDR
    3. Dolby Atmos
    4. Auto frame rate switching
    5. Top quality 4K upscaling
    6. Top quality materials in the remote - glass, aluminium - no cheap plastic
    7. Beautiful user interface
    8. AirPlay, Mirroring, HomeSharing, beautifully laid out iTunes Film store with incredible offers
    9. Reliability

For a tiny streaming box, it really seems to have everything that one could realistically wish for.

Sorry, but i've spent years in studios working with top spec broadcast equipment and to compare Apple TV with Amazon and Google rubbish is so incredibly wrong.
    There's a reason why, I chose to have Apple TV as my ONLY box in my home.

4. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

The OP forgot the mention the Android TV JBL soundbar.

While these products aren't for me as I'm a fussy AV consumer, I appreciate that these all-in-one products will be appreciated by the average consumer. Why buy a smart speaker, soundbar and media streamer separately when an all-in-one can do it all sufficiently and save money.

Very few consumer electronics brands produce TVs for obvious reasons. R&D is expensive, logistics cumbersome and upgrade cycle unattractive as consumers keep TVs for 5-10 years. Today, the money and power is in content. Through a smart soundbar with voice control you could be the heart of living rooms.

An smart Soundbar with built in Siri is inevitable. Convincing people to buy a $399 soundbar is easier than expecting them to pay the same for a smart speaker with very limited compatibility with anything.

Good voice control makes control and input a lot faster than fetching the remote or using your fingers.

I use Google Assist everyday on my phone to switch off/on bluetooth, search Google, install apps etc. All I have to do is squeeze my phone, speak at conversational speed and it gets what I'm saying - and it all barely takes 2 seconds.

Siri on ATV is useful but could be much better. It's not as good as Google Assistant at understanding "What you mean when mentioning hard to pronounce cities, artists, names or abbreviations.

However, I would welcome an always on microphone even if it meant charging the remote once a week.