Will Apple release another MBP refresh when Snow Leopard Releases?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skymastr16, Oct 18, 2008.

  1. skymastr16 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2008
    #1
    Like a lot of people, especially the ones who have yet to call an Apple computer their own, I have decided to pop my cherry with one of the newest models released 10/14/08. One of the main issues that is really preventing me from buying now though is the thought that when Snow Leopard is released circa June '09 Apple will release another MBP refresh with even more hardware upgrades which will really showcase Snow Leopards new hardware utilization skills we heard about last June.

    The optimist in me wants to purchase a new MBP with reckless abandonment right now but the more rational/pessimistic side tells me that Steve and the rest of Apple and it's shareholders wanted to push out this refresh now which would give a reasonalbe amount of time between now and the release of Snow Leopard in order to make us crazy Mac fanatics rationalize RE-upgrading again.

    What do you think? Do you believe another MBP refresh will possibly coincide with the Snow Leopard release? Do you think it's safe to purchase a new MBP 2.53 now or would it be wise to wait 8-10 months? All relevant commentary on this topic would be appreciated! ;)
     
  2. rychencop macrumors 65816

    rychencop

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    http://www.northaugusta.net/
    #2
    probably, but it'll be a speed bump revision.
     
  3. gibbz macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 31, 2007
    #3
    In my opinion, you could get into the cycle of waiting for an infinite amount of time. "Boy that is great, but what will the next version have?" I say that if you want one, get it. These were just released and are the latest and greatest. All releases, no matter how great, have a limited run at being the latest and greatest. You might as well maximize your enjoyment.

    I went and played with one today and am strongly wanting one now. I think they are pretty impressive machines and are well worth getting. Enjoy life in the present, just my thoughts.:)
     
  4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #4
    I'm hoping the stars align and they can finally get Blu-ray on there. BD players have dropped about $100 on the low-end ones (mostly $300 now instead of $400) and so maybe the format will pick up a little steam in the holiday season. The fact that The Dark Knight will be the kicking-assest BD movie of the year won't hurt, either.

    Either way, I'm gonna by stuck with this MBP for a while. I can't go spending $1800 every other year. I miss being able to get away with that when I had PCs, but that's about all I miss.
     
  5. skymastr16 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2008
    #5
    i agree with you gibbz, however if the jump in hardware specs for the next possible refresh is expectedly significant that might be enough for me to rationalize waiting 8 months. I mean good things come to those who wait right??

    i'm very interested in seeing all the benchmarks and serious reviews from the new MBPs. I went to the Apple Store today and they said that they don't expect to ever have the 2.8 GHz MBP on display which in my opinion is pretty ridiculous. Why wouldn't you want to display your most expensive model? That's like walking into a chevy dealership and all they had for you to try out was a cobalt but you really wanted to buy a hummer.
     
  6. Red-red macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    #6
    I doubt it, Snow leopard is early 09? ( if it isn't just ignore me )

    I am guessing because of some of the "strange" benchmarks we have seen, and strange performance increases over similar hardware that they will unlock it for snow leopard. They can then turn around and say "LOOK! It's 3x Faster!" etc.
     
  7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #7
    Snow Leopard is coming at about June 2009.

    Penryn CPUs are expected to have a 133 MHz speed bump in Q1 2009, and we might have another speed bump before Nehalem in late 2009 / early 2010.
     
  8. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Location:
    United States
    #8
    You'll probably see a processor upgrade, with the 2.8 becoming standard in the Pro and 3.0 or higher being a BTO option. Other than that, I don't imagine many changes.
     
  9. Red-red macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    #9
    If they do it will be a minimal one.

    They will skimp out as much as they can do when Nehalem comes they can show a massive improvement etc, make all us who bought this new MBP go buy another :p
     
  10. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

    Akira1980

    Joined:
    May 27, 2007
    Location:
    San Diego
    #10
    Every year there will be faster MBP. So if you are playing the waiting game, you will be waiting forever. My advise is to get it now, and enjoy it.
     
  11. radx macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2008
    #11
    We might also see mobile quadcores, don't forget.
     
  12. south8212 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2008
    #12
    the solution to this is very simple. When and if a another upgrade comes just put your present one on ebay and go shopping for the new!
     
  13. skymastr16 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2008
    #13
    lol, with predictions like that, it's a wonder anyone EVER buys a new laptop. i think i might go with the 2.8 just to stay as ahead of the curve as possible, and hopefully it'll fetch a really nice resale value. Thanks to everyone for their comments thus far.
     
  14. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #14
    Just as an FYI, like a car, computers with extra flair just means you lose money faster.
     

Share This Page