Will Apple release it in a larger screen size?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by intz2nu, Mar 16, 2015.

1. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

I had no idea that there was gonna be a New Macbook release or should I say what I been calling it since (Retina Macbook Air). Anyway does anyone here think there will be a release of a model with a larger screen? I really wish Apple would do a nice 14" model but even a something the size of the 13" RMBP wouldn't hurt, anyone here think it will come?

Oh yeah on a side note I'm really loving the added color options I wish Apple would carry it through the entire Mac lineup including with the iMacs, heck that would be beautiful if they did.

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

the obvious answer is, no one knows. but i doubt there'd be a 13" macbook, that screen size is only marginally bigger than a 12" screen (since they're measured diagonally...)

3. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Yes! 100% they will faze out the Air and give us more Macbook sizes.

4. technosix macrumors 6502a

I can't see that happening, but only Apple knows what future products are in the pipeline.

This new model strikes me as a useful showpiece for Apple to demonstrate what they're capable of. Beyond that I do believe the market demand maybe modest at best.

At that size point every inch of display size is significant. My sweet spot is my 13" MBA / MBPr . I perform resource intense work on my spacious wonderful 15" MBPr.

5. Serban Suspended

6. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I agree with this one, I think we'll see 14" and 16" sizes eventually. When that eventually is.... who knows. Could be a couple years, could be one, could be months. But I think that is the long term vision.

7. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I don't know... They've never had a MB with a larger screen size than a MBP. So, unless they raise those screen sizes too, I don't feel they will make a MB larger than 12", unless they just replace the MBA sizes with the new MB. 12" screen is right in the middle. Steven both Air screen sizes, I feel like that was done for a reason.

8. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Oh how i wish this would come to fruit, a nice 14" would be spot on perfect IMO.

9. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

They already make one, it's called the retina MacBook Pro 13 and it's the same price!

10. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I don't think so. What I'm currently thinking about though is if Apple is going to update the new MacBook with Skylake-based Core M in just a couple of months after the initial release (April 10). I'm planning on getting the new MacBook next month but I'm worried they'll release an updated one with Skylake soon.

11. HellasLEAF macrumors member

HellasLEAF

What a shame it would be if they didn't. And for what, the fear they would sell less pros?

give us this light, thin macbook with a proper 14 or 15 inch screen.

It's what they SHOULD do if they really respected our wishes. And don't tell me the pro exists, that thing is on the heavy side.

12. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

you mean "your' wishes. this is the problem here, everyone seems to think that their specific need/wish should be accommodated. 'why can't apple do this the way i/we want"?

at least there are choices. so, worse-case scenario, we can choose our macbook by the model that closest resembles our wishlist. and then get on with our lives...

13. powersteer, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

powersteer macrumors member

I really hope this happens!

Introduce a 14" rMB in WWDC for release in July. Comes with 14hrs battery life, Skylake Core-M processor and built-in Type-C gen 2 port.

Dreams:

1) GPU and CPU performance equivalent to i5 2013 MBA
    2) Release 27" slim Type-C Monitor
    3) One more thing, release docking strip for Type-C connector! Single wire docking strip, built-in Type-A/C USB 3.1g2 x 4, 10GbE, HDMI, VGA, SDXC card reader and even thunderbolt?? Keep all wire clutters away!

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

It all depends on what Apple does with the MBA line. Right now the rMB is awkwardly positioned as the thinnest and lightest - not the "Air". If the rMB subsumes the Air line, then I could see it blossoming into multiple lines. If Apple thinks that the low power processor experiment didn't work out as they had hoped - they may attach the dreaded "hobby" status to the rMB and move it to neglectland.

15. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Likely Apple will update the MacBook early 2016 as I think the current MacBook may be a little underpowered or more to the point it may throttle too easily, looking at how the hardware works. Skylake will make a big difference especially on the GPU side, so Apple wont want to drag it`s feet as they are already a little behind bringing Core M to market, if Intel deliver on Skylake Core M sooner Apple may well have a Late 2015 MacBook on the shelves, it would make sense too.

There`s alway something better the horizon, equally I think we should be safe for a reasonable period of time, equally if the perforce jump is worthwhile I will just gift it to one of the family and buy the Skylake version, assuming I buy one in the first place. Right now I need to see one first hand and run some application to see if it`s even viable for my needs.

Q-6

16. Serban Suspended

No chance at WWDC, maybe in the fall. But first macs with skylake will be the macbook pro 15" and probably the iMac.
    The next Apple monitor will be wireless connected at 60hz
    At WWDC the only one mac that could be presented it may be the 4k 21.5" iMac

17. kasakka macrumors 68000

Seems likely. Probably will settle for 12 and 14" sizes for Macbook and possibly just a 15-16" MBP.

The single port requiring dongles is a crock of ******** though and this "thin is all that matters" design should go away. They should at least throw the dongle in as standard.

18. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

They usually like to introduce one first then scale up or down depending on the cost for them. In this case, it's likely to be a scale up type situation. I think the 13" an 15" are going away in favor of a 14" and 16" long term. That assumes that the 12" version sells like they want it to and prices come down quickly enough for Apple to justify making the full switch to what appears to be an emerging defacto standard in the computer world... started by Chrome Pixel.

19. houttbe macrumors member

Thanks to smaller bezels, a MacBook with a 14" screen would fit nicely into the physical dimensions of the current MBP 13", only much thinner. Looking forward to my next laptop!