Will Apple release new iMac in March?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ndolebay, Jan 13, 2017.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No rumors about the release date, and apple does not say when new models will be rolling out

2. Sam_S macrumors regular

I hope so!! It's a bit of a worry that there has been very few rumours about the new machines.

3. pommie82 macrumors 6502

The only way to describe apple would be "?" They don't like to release no information at all

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Seeing as the iMac is Cook's preferred Desktop Mac to showcase - and the regularity of refreshes, it's a good sign of one coming. That and Kaby Lake being released. Something by June, if only announcement. Can you imagine it getting to WWDC without a desktop Mac coming? :/

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/imac/

As for rumors - Gurman's " iMacs with an option for new graphics chips from AMD" is the most so far. No timing details - Cook only gave an 'in the pipeline' answer. You'd hope analysts would push Cook on this month's earning call about Macs, iMac, Mac Pro, timings, but the standard response is not to talk about them or give specific timing of unreleased or unannounced products.

Something might leak by March, but it's a case of potentially waiting up till any Spring event.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has largely avoided hardware announcements at WWDC these past few years. I think more likely we'll see either a silent update, or a dedicated media event.

6. Sam_S macrumors regular

I'm hoping for the dedicated event with a redesign of the iMac it's been a while since Apple has done anything to that line.

7. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

The better question would be if the next iMac will be a redesign? Those black borders need to go.

8. ndolebay thread starter macrumors member

ndolebay

Ah, one blue shirt in Apple store told me: "there is a camera in the bezel, so it can't be removed."
    I replied:"nice!"
    :)

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

More like "nice but inaccurate"
    If the camera is in the bezel, then a bezel would be needed. And, you would want a symmetrical design for any bezel, I suppose.
    Thought I remember that Apple had applied for a patent for tech that allows a camera sensor within the pixels of the display area. In that situation, no (or minimal) bezel/border would be needed, at least for camera tech.

10. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

I've never heard a floor employee at an Apple Store say anything intelligent. They spout garbage 24/7. Terrible talking points from their clueless manager.

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I'm guessing part of the iPad event projected to happen in March. Either put it up front, or make it a "One More Thing" at the end.

This presumes only the iMac is updated. If we see a new Mini and/or Pro, then it might be it's own thing after the iPad event.

12. LethalOptical macrumors member

LethalOptical

I am on the fence between a 15"mbp or an iMac. A new iMac needs to happen this year so I can make a proper decision.

13. Sam_S macrumors regular

Whats wrong with the black boarders? Its a desktop computer it doesn't need to be that small. I would prefer a thicker iMac, with better performance and the ability to upgrade the components.

I am very worried that Apple is going to turn the new iMac into a MacBook that doesn't have a battery and fix everything to the motherboard and take away the ability for users to service their own machines.

14. richinaus macrumors 6502a

well one is a portable and the other a desktop, so get both...... or just get the iMac if you don't need a portable.

15. LethalOptical macrumors member

LethalOptical

The portability will be ideal for travel & my eventual return to college (not for a few years) but I'm leaning towards the 27" screen the iMac has for sessions in Lr & Ps.

16. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

That's only partially true. It can't go, but it can certainly be reduced. The latest MacBook Pro has a camera as well and its black border isn't nearly as large as the iMac's.

17. cynics macrumors G4

It's safe to say people like you and I (probably the majority of regular posters here) are better versed in Apples product line then their employees.

18. satchmo macrumors 68000

To be honest, given the recent MBP redesign, I'm fearful of any new redesign of the iMac.

Yes, it's long overdue, but will it lose features for thinness sake? Will there still be a headphone jack and SD card slot?
    If it's just another Jony Ive vanity project, that gives us only 2 usb-c ports for minimalism sake, then just keep the old design.

19. macmee Suspended

macmee

I want to see if Apple will stick with x86 intel chips or move to an ARM based A10 successor?

20. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

For the iMacs, x86 for sure. For the Mac mini, that's a tougher question.

21. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Why not go MBP with the 5K LG display?

I'm sure Apple has been testing an ARM version of macOS, but they either need significantly more powerful ARM chips to support real-time emulation (as was done with the 68000 to PPC and PPC to Intel switches) or more productivity apps to port to iOS (so they have ARM code to support a desktop version).

22. macmee Suspended

macmee

Oh good point. Rosetta was pretty slow on the C2D Macs too.

Since Apple builds the ARM chips themselves I wonder if they can do anything fancy in hardware to make emulation perform better.

23. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

The "evolution of the iMac" (re-engineerings at several-year intervals) seems to be something they like to celebrate, and the last one was in 2012, wasn't it? It seems plausible they were close at the October MacBook Pro-focused event but decided they weren't close enough to include it there.

So I hope so – I'm ready to look at upgrading soon to either an iMac or a nice desktop (e.g. modern Mac mini plus nice display).

24. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

Oh yes, I have spent hours upon hours researching the iMac, and the components in the iMac. That is how I was able to make an informed purchase.

The lack of nuance in the critiques from the Apple employees is laughable.