Will Apple release new ipad with existing size?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by everythingfun, Dec 28, 2012.

1. everythingfun macrumors member

Or all future models will be size of ipad mini?

thanks if anyone know.

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

No one here knows for sure, but I'd bet the iPad isn't going anywhere. If anything, it'll always be a spec ahead of the Mini.

3. irDigital0l Guest

Why would Apple discontinue the 9.7'' iPad?

In fact it'll probably have better specs than the Mini.

4. n8236 macrumors 65816

It might be too early, but my hunch would be that everyone wants the hardware specs of an ipad with the form factor of the mini.

If I were Apple and knew this, I would keep them separate just like I do now with the Macbook Pro line with and w/o retina.

You're essentially carving out a niche from that niche. The tablet niche carved itself out with the ipad and now the mini carved itself another niche from that.

From a profit POV, I would imagine companies using the ipad while home users playing w/ the mini. Just like a Macbook Air for personal use and a Lenovo Thinkpad for work.

By keeping the hardware specs ahead of the mini, it will capture and cater to those more pro/powerful (such as designers, engineers, academics and such). The mini would be for more casual use and cater to hungry readers etc.

I believe the profit margins for keeping them split is greater, but it also presents itself w/ a lot of other challenges, inside and out. App developers, managing functions/features across multiple hardware devices, etc.

Bottom line is, I think Apple is waiting to see if the whole power/casual user theory will pan out. If it does, they will keep the two pads. If the mini crosses a threshold of cannibalizing the iPad into extinction, then it's obvious.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Your hunch is wrong. I'm happy with a full size iPad and an iPhone. I see the iPad mini as a compromise product. Not small enough to be portable like an iPhone, but not big enough to be as user friendly as a full size iPad.
    Even if the specs were exactly the same I would choose the iPad over the mini. It's not what everybody wants.

6. n8236 macrumors 65816

Let me retract the "everyone" and say "mostly."

I am willing to bet a poll with the Mini w/ ipad specs would definitely be a clear winner. There will always be a small amount of folks buying the iPad for their own reasons, but given the larger audience, the Mini w/ iPad equal specs will be that " more ideal" product.

I'm certain, by the time the Mini has reached iPad 3 specs, the iPad would then have become lighter, thinner, faster, better hardware and other features the Mini won't have.

The only real way I can see the ipad dying is if it's clearly being eaten by the Mini. But I don't see that happening as long as they keep the Mini specs one step behind the iPad's. I also don't believe the pure number of iPad users will be enough for Apple to keep it around for those niched uses if the specs were to be equal.