Will Apple Release Upgrade 2.0 Today?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonewiz, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iphonewiz macrumors regular

With all the hype over iPhone 2.0, what about the OS and AppStore launch? I hope Apple goes ahead and released that to the existing iPhone user base today!

That would give me plenty to do until the new iPhones hit the store!

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This is my train of thought as well, but I doubt if it happens.

3. crobbins macrumors 6502

I'm hoping for sometime today, but wouldn't be surprised if it said to be released "later in the week"

4. terrrrrible macrumors regular

I am hoping 2.0 comes out today, because wasn't 1.4 released at Macworld earlier this year? Also, I'd think that Apple would want to get 2.0 out before the 3G iPhone comes out, although I'm sure they've done plenty of testing with it already.

5. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

6. red41 macrumors regular

Didn't Jobs say that it would be released in late June?

7. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Yes. It makes perfect sense for everything to go live today. For the first time in Apple's history WWDC has completely sold out. This means Apple have a huge opportunity in front 5000+ developers to say 'The SDK is final ... We're shipping it tonight ... so you can all start developing for the iPhone, from today! - and guess what ... One More Thing ... We are now declaring the iTunes App Store also open for business! - Version 2.0 will ship tonight for both iPhone & iPod touch' ....

Releasing the software after WWDC .. it just won't have enough hype/attention as it would do if they released it in less than 5 hours.

Com'on Apple, do it today ... for all of us.

R-Fly

8. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Yeah, he did. I'm with you. I don't think we'll see anything for 3 weeks or so yet.

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I read (here I think?) that it went gold master last week but the carriers require 10 or so days of software testing to make sure it doesn't do any damage to their network. So if all that info is true, the 2.0 firmware won't be released until late this week or early next week (at the earliest). So that is right in line with new phone announcement today and available on Friday or next week. Guess we'll find out in a few hours.

10. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Wasn't it "by the end of June"?

ie late June at the latest?

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, but the keynote behind him said that. He just said shipping in June.

12. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

This is what Im thinking....

They already said months ago at the last apple event that the Update would be the later part of June (around the 19th I think)...I also think the phone will be announced today but not released until later in the month...However always the slim hope of this happening....

I look forward to getting the phone, but since already owning one who really cares if it comes out today or next week.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No.

I think:
    1. Final SDK today
    2. Three weeks of testing to ensure absolutely all the major and most of the minor bugs are gone.
    3. Late June, possibly early July the App store and version 2.0 will debut.

3G phone announced today, shipping in 6 weeks following expedited FCC approval.

Remember this is for developers, they don't care about hardware - only about ways to get their software onto that hardware so that they can make money.

Any consumer stuff is handled by MWSF and the occasional special event.

14. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I'm sorry, they can't wait 6 weeks before shipping a phone. It's already been over 4 weeks since Apple's been out of stock on iPhones. They're not going to go 2+ months of not selling the product. I'm guessing it's already FCC approved under that protection clause or whatever they supposedly have. Waiting 6 more weeks can kill their chances of 10 million phones and will probably cause the stock to tank. I'll be shocked if it's not shipping within 2 weeks, possibly by the end of this week.

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I agree, but they'll probably ship the iPhone at the end of June.

16. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

I think 2.0 will release today and the new iPhone later in the month. I can't see them releasing at the same time or close to the same time. Can you imagine all the iPhone users trying to upgrade to 2.0 and all the new customers trying to activate their new phone? It has disaster written all over it. In my opinion, they will try to put as much space between the release of the 3g iPhone and 2.0 as they can

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, being an Aussie I'm not totally up to speed on the FCC approval process but I remember there being a 6 week version of the approval process where the images the FCC takes along with all the findings can be kept confidential.

Maybe they've already been done, I don't know but if the phone ships tomorrow it'll have 1.1.4 on it - 2.0 isn't final yet, it can't be till the SDK is final and tested into the ground so that the corporations Apple are courting can approve the iPhone for use. They're not going to do that based on the usual level of testing Apple do ie. early adopters are beta testers who just happened to pay full price.

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

19. Unguided macrumors newbie

The firmware really has nothing to do with the SDK, they are seperate entities. The only thing that links them is the 2.0 firmware ability to download and use the created software from the SDK. They can be released as final at different times.

20. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

I dont think it will be July...If anything he will announce and the release today or soon after.....Its been hyped alot in the news this morning so who knows....2.0 is coming but dont get toooooo excited probably wont even come close to meeting all the expectations we would all like

21. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

If you remember when the Iphone was released in Europe it had a newer version update than everyone in the US...They could release the phone today with 2.0 and then have others download later this month

22. Unguided macrumors newbie

They could do that, but as that firmware was more on a revisional update to provide Europe networks in the base code. This firmware update is a bit more important, I can't see them releasing just on the phone and then downloads later. Given the nature of the AppStore requiring it it would be daft to have the final code only available on 1/3 of the devices that can use it (iPhone, 3G iPhone and iPod Touch), that is more lost revenue in the initial stages of the firmware's life.

23. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

no, not before 2009!!

C O M M O N S E N S E

24. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I am still a firm believer in 1.1.5 for hardware support only. When 2.0 releases then you can update. I thought the current beta expired on June 4th or something like that. There is no way they got the iPhones pre-loaded with 2.0, packaged, shipped from China, and distributed by today. I also agree with 2.0 final version today.

25. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.