Will Apple repair my iTouch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by RonMaverick, Oct 11, 2008.

1. RonMaverick macrumors newbie

I have an ipod touch and the backlight is flickering. I plan to trade it in for repairs or whatever Apple does with them. Only problem is mines is REALLY scratched up on the back. It only has one little dent on the back but it has a few (deep) scratches. Will they let me trade it/get it repaired? I only have the warranty that came with it I didnt buy the extra one yet. The scratches are not "performance altering" and they are not REALLY that bad but still they are just pretty obvious. Looks like i put it in a bag of coins or something and shook it a few times. I'm hoping this won't stop them from fixing it, will it?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If the damage can be linked to the fault, then probably not.

You won't know until you try.

3. RRutter macrumors 6502

No. I asked them to exchange my iPhone because I couldn't take photos with it, but they said no because I had done damage to it. I was like w/e, and bought a new one, along with an :apple:tv. :D. But no, seriously, I was pissed.

4. RonMaverick thread starter macrumors newbie

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

That dent is very small.
    It all depends on the employee(s) you talk to.
    I had an amazing experience there today.
    There was a dead pixel on my 2G iPod touch and they replaced it on the spot and didn't even charge me a restocking fee.
    The factors of when you bought it and if the person you speak to notices and takes into consideration the dent can come into play.

6. ipodtouchftw macrumors member

that seems to happen if u turn the brightness level really low. it happens on mine and my friends ipod touch.

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

my old ipod 5g was dented like crazy, AND had sand it it with a failed hdd.

the guy was nice and fixed it for free.

8. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

Mine as well.

9. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I remember when I tried using toothpaste to clean the scratches on my iPod Touch, and some of the water+toothpaste got in the volume button, the button was malfunctioning. I called Apple, and told them that it was a faulty unit (they never asked if I messed with it :p ). They were all very nice! So they connected me with some lady in California (she was extremely nice), and she told me to return it to Circuit City (where I bought it), and if they wouldn't take it back, call her back to send it to Apple. ;)

So since my iPod Touch was purchased under 30 days ago, Circuit City replaced it at no charge what so ever. :D :D :D

10. kristinaB macrumors newbie

yea i know wht you mean thts wht im tryin to find out? if they would fix mine i mean i will pay for it to be repaird!! mine i dk wht happend i was watchin a movie on my itouch wile it was plgged into the charger and it jus stoped workin so do any of yall know how i would do tht?!?!?!?:eek:

11. nicheco macrumors member

isn't it truely i own ipod touch??? i guess i haven't looked to see if they changed it, but my buddy bought an 80g classic, and it was used as a proper noun in the manual.

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

What? I don't understand your post. What was used as a proper noun?

13. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

That's minor cosmetic damage. They'll probably replace it.

It's just if it looked like it's been badly dropped or something, then they wont.

14. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

"iPod" is being used as a proper noun, in the same way as Apple refer to the iPhone just as "iPhone", no "the".

15. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Lol, now you come to mention it, I was wondering about that too, especially cause my cousin's in a similar position with his iPhone. Meh.

16. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Well just have him try the essentials. Restart. Restore from backup. Restore as new device. Slam it against a wall. Then take it into the Apple Store, it's always worth a shot. It's sometimes even worth it to go twice if they don't fix it the first time.

17. kunals1994 macrumors newbie

ipod touch jailbreak

I jailbroke my second gen itouch and booted it up normally. Three days later it ran out of battery so i charged it normally. Then i turned it off and turned it back on and the boot logo loads normally but i have been waiting an hour and a half for it to load but it won't. I called apple and they said i should send it in. Any ideas how to fix it?

18. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

First of all, NEVER ask Apple for help on a jailbroken device.
    And is your jailbreak tethered?