Will Apple repair my old/used macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nathanthomas, Mar 7, 2012.

1. nathanthomas macrumors newbie

I had to buy a macbook pro from some random person on kijiji (a site like craigslist) after my 2010 macbook pro was stolen and I have no idea what programs were legally installed or if this mac was rebuilt completely from scrap parts (I think it's a 2007 model, and no serial number shows up anywhere on the mac) and I'm wondering if apple will still help fix my macbook even if it could possibly have some illegally downloaded software on it and i don't have the original receipt or anything?? I obviously know that it won't be covered under any warranty, I just really need the built in isight repaired because it's not working at all with any app. I tried every online solution for troubleshooting it but it still says there's no camera connected so I'm assuming there's a problem with the hardware or cable that I can't fix myself. I bought this used macbook last october and only today experienced problems with the isight. :confused:

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

if they help you it will probably cost you a pretty penny. probably better off buying a new one or a refurb. no insurance on the old one? bummer.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They'll repair it if you pay them. It's no longer covered under Applecare if it's a 2007 model.

5. nathanthomas, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

nathanthomas thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a law school student and don't exactly have the money for a new macbook, if I did I wouldn't have been desperate enough to buy a random old/used one. This macbook has snow leopard and runs completely fine other wise... I guess I'll explain my situation when I call tomorrow during business hours to see what they say about a possible price estimate. Some other people have told me to take it to a local shop that will fix it for cheaper than Apple will and that not having a serial number raises the price significantly with Apple. Perhaps I'll look into that too.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Not true at all. And I'm sure there's a not insignificant number of Macs that have even left Apple repair with no serial numbers because the techs forgot to burn them back in after a logic board replace.

7. Takashi macrumors regular

Apple will probably fix it but it might be more economical to get a refurbished model or a new one from apple. The thing with buying used computers from Kijiji s that you have no idea what the previous owner did to it and what is damaged.

8. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

Good point a clean osx install and/or a fresh HDD will make any mac just like new, bad software can't damage the hardware. disk utility is a wonderful thing.