Will Apple Repeat Last Years Memory Increase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomazwrx, Jul 28, 2008.

1. thomazwrx macrumors newbie

I am in a conundrum if i get the iphone now or wait till september to see if apple repeats what it did last year.
    Last year in september apple cut the iphone prices and doubled its memory.
    Im not expecting the price cut again but I am doubtful if apple will cut-off the 8Gb model and sell the 16Gb as the base version and 32Gb as the high-end version?

Any opinions on this?

2. ElBerserko macrumors member

No. If I remember correctly, Apple cut the price of the 8GB iphone in September and dropped the 4GB. They did not double the memory until February when the 16GB came out. You've got some time before they increase the memory.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I think it all depends on what they do with the iPod Touch. Until it gets a refresh I suspect the iPhone 3G will remain as is. I would love to have the option myself, right now I carry my iPod Touch 32GB, my iPhone 3G 16GB, and my Macbook air when I travel. Like a mobile Apple Store. :D

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No way in hell they cut the price or change the config for quite some time.

5. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I see the iphone staying relatively the same and any major updates will coincide with the initial launch of the 3G version since everyone who buys it is now stuck in a 2 Year contract and will have difficulty upgrading. I would think that makes the most sense unless they do what they did with the 2G iphone owners in that you can upgrade regardless of your remaining contract obligation. I don't know if they would do that though.

6. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

I think that single 32GB chips are still too expensive for apple to be using them in an iPhone yet.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They have the stacked multi-level chips in a single 32GB package.

Could be Apple is waiting for the single-level 32GB package to arrive at their price point.

8. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

yeah because they now use flash memory its a lil expensive right now but should be at a good price by early next year.

9. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

The other thing to remember is that the 4GB 1st gen iPhone was relatively unpopular, and it didn't make commercial sense to continue it. This time around (albeit from my perception alone) the 8GB is selling as well as the 16GB, as it's large enough to be a reasonable compromise when people have queued three hours and find the 16GB is sold out.

Also, it's worth considering that the 3G phone is already heavily subsidised by the carriers, which the first one wasn't, so although the RAM upgrade is a natural succession factor, the price point may be as low as it's going to get and now it's just a Moore's Law variable from here on in. The chip availability situation may have something to do with it too, but I reckon it's less important this time around.

10. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I'm sure they'll do it in about 6 months, something like last time. I doubt any price drops anytime at least till then either. They probably figure the new features are enough to offset any size increases for some time.

11. joeconvert macrumors 6502

I am expecting something when they bring their application service live for managed connections.

Pure speculation, but I see 8GB going away at that point and the 16GB will end up at the $199 price point. Apple has execution history, so early adopter beware. Not saying I have a problem with this - I have a v1 8GB bought last July. I like the 3G, but with the build issues and the buggy firmware, I have no problem waiting until their end of September announcements.

12. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

ask yourself: do you NEED 32GB??
    perhaps you do (I personally do not, can't fill 16, as I only put music that I actually listen to on mine, and rotate the videos)
    but maybe you just want 32GB so you can have the best model, which is stupid. They're all the same, same power, same specs, only the amount of content that can be stored is different

I had an original 8gb, and when the 16gb came out, I almost bought it, just to have the "best" model, even though i was fine with the 8. I only got the 16 this time because I wanted white

so maybe you really do NEED 32GB
    but if your considering getting one now, then you might just want to have the highest model so you know no one has a better phone than you

and to the person who has a 16gb 3g and a 32gn touch: your iPhone can do everything the touch can plus more, but just has less memory. Obviously, its a matter of needing more space as to why you have the touch. A 32gb touch is (last time I checked, which was a while ago) the same price as a 160gb classic. Why not get that instead, and have 10 times more memory instead of 2? Or do you really need the touch interface that much?
    I'd just put my music on the classic and all my movies on the phone cuz of the awesome screen

13. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I too have both a 16Gb iPhone and a 32 Gb Touch I love the Touch's screen mainly for movies. It also allows me to use the Touch for entertainment purposes, music, games and movies while traveling with-out draining the battery on my iPhone which I use primarily as a communication tool.

I understand right now there isn't enough room to stack the chips in the iPhone to get the 32Gb, the extra space is taken up with all the added radios for 3G and such.

14. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Take cost out of the equation for a second what would you rather use? I have both choices, and I'd rather use the iPod Touch any day. The classic is hard to go back too for video, so I sacrifice storage for the quality of the experience. I was using my iPhone at times as an iPod, but it just kills the battery on long flights. For music I could use my classic or my nano, but I've found the combined 16GB iPhone 3G and 32GB iPod Touch go together well. Now if :apple: would double those storage capacities I'll be there to buy them day one as well. Me and my Shure Headphones love Apple Loseless Format. :)

15. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    they actually already increased the memory yesterday. Didn't you hear? Now for only 3 dollars more you can get the 128 gig.

They also added a front facing camera, a 7.2mp camera with all the works, and verisons 4g network.. oh yea they went exclusive with verison now too. so better switch carriers again...

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Price cut, I agree but I wouldn't be surprised if their configuration changed for their next version of the iPhone due out whenever next year

17. thomazwrx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input. I just didnt want to pay an extra $100 to get the 16Gb version if apple was going to lower the price on the 16Gb version and cutoff the 8Gb version like they did to the 4Gb last year.

18. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

I don't think they will do any of that this year. Due to the events that happened when it did happen. I remember i was the first person at the genius bar to return my iphone for the 8gb and get 50 dollars back to my credit card.

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Their never going to cut the price of the 3G iPhone.

If it followed the same steps as the last phone, that would make them cut the 8GB, make the 16GB $200, and the new 32GB $300.

So just months ago you could get a $500 phone with less features, or have the phone with 3G, GPS, new design at $300.

Won't happen.