Will Apple replace a dented iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shyfe, May 30, 2010.

1. Shyfe macrumors member

I dropped the phone on concrete a few months back and it has some relatively minor damage from the drop. Some battery issues have arisen and I want to go exchange for a refurb. Will they exchange if it is dented? Here are two pictures showing the only damage I could find.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They won't replace it for free you will be charged the replacemnt fee like if you've broken the glass for example.

3. Shyfe thread starter macrumors member

Is it likely that they will overlook it? I don't mean by accident. I mean they just don't care.

4. rkswat macrumors regular

No. As soon as they see damage caused by you, all bets are off.

5. Shyfe thread starter macrumors member

Damn. That's kind of harsh. This damage impacts usage in no way whatsoever.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

If you have real issues take to apple and talk to them.They have the final say

7. rkswat macrumors regular

Ahhhh but that's where they get ya. Of course they will say any issue you have IS caused by the drop/damage. Another $199 in their pocket!

Like poster above me said, take it in and see what they say.... maybe the person will be :cool: but I wouldn't hold my breath, good luck.

8. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

just find the tiny cracks that exist on everyone's phone and bring it in for that and they will replace it. Or claim your having gps problems and they will replace it.

9. pintnight macrumors 6502

No. Just as when you dented your car, the dealer will not replace the car.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Its not their fault you dropped it on concrete.
    But worth a try to bring it in and play dumb :D

11. rkswat macrumors regular

www.hookedonphonics.com

OP clearly says he dropped it on concrete.

12. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Physical damage isn't covered by any warranty. Do you read your warranty much. :rolleyes:

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think you should bring it in. Explain the battery issue. Who knows, they may decide to give you a replacement for free. Or as many others have said, they could say the battery issue was caused by the drop and want to charge you $199.

Personally, if they wanted to charge you the $199 fee, I would wait and see what is announced at WWDC on the 7th of June and see if you want to upgrade to the new phone.

14. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

It's hard to say, however, from looking at those pictures and knowing what's in the Warranty terms, I think you would have to be very lucky if they did replace it for you.

15. adriii macrumors newbie

I had a HUGE gash on the bottom left corner of my iphone.. it was REALLY bad. I wish I had a picture of it.. people said it looked like that part of the phone had gotten burnt. It was scratched.. dented.. scraped.. it was bad.

Anyway I went to the apple store to complain about the cracks I found on the case (which had developed before the gash) and the genius replaced it for me despite the damaged corner.

He did check to see where the cracks were to make sure that they weren't caused by the drop though. But other than that, he was really nice and understood my complaint about the cracks since it's a well known issue.

16. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

once Apple sees the dent from the drop...the tiny cracks argument is moot...they won't exchange...if you're still under warranty you'll have to pay to replace

17. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Did you even READ the opening post, or did you just jump to your conclusion?

He's not asking them to replace it because of the damage, his battery is faulty.

Exactly.

18. pintnight macrumors 6502

Did you even READ the subject title of this post, or did you just jump to your conclusion?