iPhone 6(S)(+) Will Apple replace battery on phone that has already been replaced by someone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seanbperiod, Mar 9, 2018.

1. seanbperiod macrumors member

I have a 6S purchased off ebay that [supposedly] has a replaced battery. Will apple continue to replace the battery if they find that it was previously opened/replaced by someone else?

Also is upgrading iOS necessary, or can it be requested that they don't do the upgrade?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

They do not update your iOS.

Normally Apple will not touch a phone with a third party part in it. But, they might make an exception here. You need to call them and ask. Back up before you go.

3. seanbperiod thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Unfortunately, I'd have to go to Best Buy because I don't have an Apple store near me, and I asked them their process and they said they replace the battery and update iOS. I asked if I can request to not update the OS and they said it's not possible and that they have to.. <shrug>

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Didn't MacRumors post an article late last year, noting that Apple changed their policy on refusing to work on equipment that a third party worked on?

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Maybe so but the OP is heading to Best buy now.

6. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

That was specifically in relation to screens though. Nothing to do with third party battery replacements.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

After I posted, I remembered it was part specific but couldn't remember which one. Thanks for the clarification.