Will Apple replace/exchange faulty 6-day old MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Psych606, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Psych606 macrumors newbie

Since I've had it it's crashed on three separate occasions, with big green and purple blocks appearing across the screen and everything becoming unresponsive. The music I was playing at the time also blared out very loud and wouldn't turn off even with the lid closed... it took a very, very long press of the power button for it to eventually turn off.

I also have the 'screen rattle' issue which occurs when lifting off the table and putting it in my bag; most annoying for a machine of this cost but I can live with that.

My friend has had the same model for months and has had no such issues, despite being a much heavier user than I am. I just feel like I have a lemon and would quite like it replaced. I don't feel it's reasonable for Apple to expect me to put up with a repair when I've had it less than a week, but I've read they no longer do exchanges anymore.

I plan to go to the Apple Store (UK, if it makes a difference) tomorrow, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has any similar experience and know what the course of action is likely to be?

I really like the machine and it would be a shame to have to get a refund.

2. leman macrumors 604

You have two weeks return window? Give it back and get a new one

3. Psych606 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are they likely to exchange it there or then? The Apple Store is quite out of my way so I don't want to have to leave it for days and wait for their assessment. It's reassuring to know that they'd just replace it.

4. PBz macrumors 65816

PBz

Return. Repurchase. Your return period starts over.

5. Psych606 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it via the student discount which as far as I know is only applicable once, so wouldn't I have to pay full price the second time?

At least I now know that it can be replaced, I was just worried about what I had read about Apply no longer replacing computers at all.

6. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Just take it in and ask for an exchange. If it's a stock configuration it'll be an easy swap. You can see what's in stock at apple.com before you go.

7. psymps macrumors member

psymps

All Apple products as far as I know have a 2 week return window. Within this time, you can opt to replace or return your item for a full refund.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"it took a very, very long press of the power button for it to eventually turn off."

They all do this (Apple changed the way the power-on button works a few years ago).

If you don't like it, take it back.
    But don't be upset if the new one "rattles", too.
    If you don't like the rattle, don't "shake" it.

9. Psych606 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fortunately they exchanged it within 5 minutes, almost no questions asked.

I never rattled it, not once. It made a very distinct "clunk" (which I could also feel) when it tilted when putting it in my bag or taking it out - something I would class as normal use?

I take care of all my things, especially the expensive ones like this so it's within reason to be disappointed by something like this which is usually symptomatic of cheapness.

Fortunately my new MBP doesn't make any clunky noises, for now.