will apple replace for dust under screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wnxgenral, Dec 19, 2008.

1. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

Will apple replace an iPhone if there is dust under the screen? What are the chances of me asking for a white iPhone when i have a black iPhone, if they replace it?

2. corrado7 macrumors regular

corrado7

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

4. .adam macrumors regular

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The root cause of dust under the screen is because there is gap somewhere in your iPhone case, mainly it happens between the glass and the chrome bezel, and also shows a light leak (I'm not sure on the term they use to describe it).
    In a very dark room turn on your iPhone screen preferable with a white image and you will see some light coming out your iPhone and not from the viewable screen.
    Like I always say: you are the customer and you got a faulty product, ask for a replacement is your right. Be a customer, don't be aggressive, simply be courteous make your point and remember that you are the customer, ask for the manager in case you need to.

6. jake36wi41 macrumors member

Replaced mine w/ little issue. It helped that the Genius returned HIS first 3G for the same problem :p

If it bothers you enough (it did for me) then take it in and find out. Worst case, they say no.

7. hitman45400 macrumors regular

yup, i had alot under mine and they gave me a brand new one

8. nos402 macrumors newbie

My first 3g had dust under the glass. It looked like a dead pixel but in sunlight you could clearly see the dust. They replaced it with no hassle.

My second 3g had dust under the glass again. I had checked it when I got it and didn't see any but later on I noticed it in direct sunlight. I couldn't see it under normal operation but in sunlight I could. On my second visit back to the Apple store, we went through 5 replacement 3gs before we found one I could live with. They ALL had dust under the glass. The one I settle on had dust under the glass but it was tiny and off the edge of the screen.

At some point I have since somehow acquired another piece of dust under the glass. I don't really notice it 95% of the time but again in direct bright light it is as clear as day. I'm contemplating whether I want to bother replacing it again since I have no confidence that I'll ever get one that's dust free/dust proof and I don't want to have to once again replace my screen protector and the decal I have on the back of the phone, however I know myself and I have a feeling I will be getting it replaced again (glad I got the apple care plan).

9. friekunater macrumors 6502

I have a first-gen 16gb iPod touch that is just over a year old that I bought from Walmart with some dust under the screen down near the home button, would they replace it? would/could they replace it with a 2g? :):) are you SURE they would/wouldn't replace it, because I live about 200mi from the nearest Apple store and I don't want to make the trip just to find out they won't do it

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i had a 3G replaced with no issue because of dust. the genius took one look and said "that's no good. i apologize for that. let me get you a replacement."