Will apple replace my abused iPhone 3G??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Josh5079, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Josh5079, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

Josh5079 macrumors newbie

I went to singapore in may this year and got a 6 month old 8gig black iPhone 3G. since then I've found that the sleep/power button is hard to press and that there is 6 cracks on the case. I was planning up until today to replace the back and the bezel myself but while finding information I read a couple of posts about people with broken sleep buttons having their phones replaced for free. I checked this morning and found my warrantee for service and repairs was still active for another 6 days (until the 10 Dec). From the photos could you 'guess' whether the cracks are manufacture faults? Because I got it 2nd hand in Singapore I don't have the receipt, and the closest apple store is about 3.5 hours away so would I be able to take it to vodafone? Would the replace it and if so what with? PS I'm in New Zealand..
    Pictures:
    [​IMG] Horrible monster crack
    [​IMG] 5 cracks, which cause the bezel and the case to separate in both corners
    [​IMG] A crack I just noticed, which as you can see is making the bezel loose from the case as well..
    Thanks for your help, I really need it:p
    I didn't cause it any physical damage, These are all problems that have been caused from general use.

2. Applejuiced, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They won't replace it for free.
    You will have to pay to have it replaced. Warranty doesn't cover abuse or physical damage.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I don't know how they do it in New Zealand, but in the U.S if you pay $200, they'll give you a brand new/refurbished one.

4. Josh5079 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't mean I had caused it any damage. It has become damaged from general use which should still be covered.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, AppleCare doesn't cover any of that. Just manufacturers defects.
    Not general wear and tear damages.

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

If it's still under warranty and you're lucky enough to find a nice person at the genius bar, you could potentially walk around with a new phone. But it's the 3G and not the 3GS, so I don't know if they would even have replacements in stock anymore.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

How do you figure normal wear and tear is covered under warranty? :rolleyes:

8. Josh5079 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thought I'ld just say, I sent my phone to apple and with a day of warranty they replaced it because of the cracks and button :) :apple: