will apple replace my awesome 2011 macbook pro 15inch after 4 months?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomrazr, Apr 21, 2011.

1. randomrazr macrumors 65816

i bought a brand new 2011 macbook pro on march 8th. right out of the box i noticed fine scuff marks on the far right side of lid. its unnoticable unless under bbright light

1 week later the higne starts making clicking/crackling noises.

i bought this at best buy and i was only 4 days after there return/exchange policy and they said, pretty much they wont do ****

the closest apple store is in toronto, about 3 hours away

my family usualy takes the train there during the summer so prob sometimein june we will go, and i can take thte time to go to the apple store.

i made a case with apple over the phone sot he issues and date it occured is recordded. but because it will be anouther couple months till i will be able to go to the apple store, will they replace my machine with a flawless new one i initially paid for?

unfortunately in candaa, we dont have the option to ship macbooks, only ipod and phones

THANKS!

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Yes, Apple will most probably fix your issue.

Good luck. :)

3. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

You should make Apple aware of this ASAP instead of waiting a couple months - it may make a difference. If you do take your Mac in to an AppleStore - they may decide to repair it, rather than replace it - and it won't be done in a day.

Why won't Apple allow you to ship your Mac for repair? Seems stupid - not everyone lives close to an Canadian AppleStore.

4. alexxn macrumors regular

I would think you're OK but make sure it's documented through Apple.

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

No, they will attempt to repair any issues. They will not just give you a replacement.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

x2

They'll apologize about the scuffing and replace the hinges, but you're not likely to get the entire machine replaced.

7. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

You're leaving something out. Apple does not simply stand by to record "defects" then hang up the phone. They asked you to mail it in. Why didn't you?

8. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

He says they don't do shipping for MacBooks in Canada where he's from.

How do you know they asked him to ship it in? Seems awfully presumptuous of you lol

9. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

You mean to tell me that Canada is so backwards that customers can't ship their devices that are under warranty to the plethora of authorized Apple repair centers throughout the country?

10. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Seems like it.

Quite funny, they have a great national health service but apparently very little in the way of infrastructure, eh?

11. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

What do you expect from a country that calls ham "bacon". :D

12. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

13. Criticalmass macrumors member

Criticalmass

That's odd, as I've a friend in Canada who had to ship her MBA in for overheating issues.

14. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

hey, i didn't say it... the OP did. I'm not canadian, never been to canada, i think i may have met 4 canadians in my entire life, 3 were potheads, one was a born again christian so i'm assuming they're not indicative of the majority.

yeah what's up with that? bacon needs to be streaky and fatty so it gets nice and crisp. ach, i might need to go fry me up some bacon now

15. ADAADW macrumors member

Hahah as a Canadian i find everything that was said so far hilarious! On a serious note though if the OP is in the Niagara area there is a apple store in buffalo, NY. Maybe it might be easier to cross the boarder and get the work done there.

Ps. if anyone is curious about Canada just look at this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDeDQpIQFD0

This is how all of us Canadians wake up every morning!

16. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the replies

apple does mail in replacements for iphones and ipods, but they said mail in processes for macbook pros is not available in canada, which sucks . u ahve to take it into a store

im hoping they do a replacement since the issues occured right out of the box. its not my fault the closest store is in toronto. its stupid that the most populated province in canada has only a couple apple stores, all in toronto.

you lost me, they didnt hang up, they made a case id, recorded my issues and when ti reported it. like i said, mail in for macbooks is NOT AVAILABLE in canada, which really sucks

YEP THAT SUMS ITS UP....atleast for macbooks

17. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

really? the reps told me no shipping avaalble in canada for macbooks :(

18. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Sorry, ain't buyin' it. And I won't believe it until somebody shows me proof. (And no... don't make me look it up for you).

What do you Canucks use to deliver goods up there... dog sleds?

19. iMackPro macrumors 6502

i gotta be honest with you man, if you dont want to travel 3 hours to fix your 2000$ computer then im just going to call you lazy. It really doesnt sound like you want to replaced that bad. Or you would have already gone.

Now i understand there are a number of reasons why you can go now money time etc, but i figure you could make due if you really needed it fixed.

Just go now and fix it it'll be well worth your time. They will for sure fix it because the MBP comes with a standard 1 year warranty. and 90 days tech support.

i say man up and make the drive now, because if that hinge cracks/breaks more and your screen falls all the back and cracks you are royally screwed.

20. mape2k macrumors regular

this.

Of course I don't know your circumstances, but somebody that owns a MacBook Pro can usually afford to travel 3 hours by train/car. I would suggest you drive ASAP to the store. What if they tell you they won't repair it because you waited so long and that made the problems worse?

21. Abstract, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It may be faster and easier to just take it to an Apple reseller and have them repair it.

In my experience, Apple resellers in Toronto are better than the service at actual Apple Stores. There must be a reseller outside of Toronto that's closer to you.

22. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    lesson to be learned here - always buy online from AppleStore direct. (or by phone)
    there are never any issues when you buy direct - they fall over themselves to assist
    at least that has been my experience over the past 8 years. :D
    (my local Apple reseller sucks - they're nice guys and all but … …) :rolleyes:

23. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

actually 2 grand took a while to save. i dont have the luxury of driving 3 hours as i dont have my full licence yet. my mother does not drive either and unfortunately my father passed away in 2007 so he cant help me either. all my friends have jobs and school to be busy with, plus the extremely high gas prices, i dont think they have woul want to take me to toronto just to replace a computer. the train is an option but its 50 dollar train ride one way...:S

i cant drive (read above reply lol). train ride is expensive. apple customer service is pretty good, (least on the phone) so hopefully they will do something even f i was a few months late in bringing. at this point, id be hapy with a replacement, but be ok with a fix with the hinge.

you dealt with toronto apple store reps before?

24. HBOC macrumors 68020

sometimes Apple will help with re-inbursment costs for traveling far. Call AppleCare and tell them that since you cannot mail the MBP to them to get replaced/repaired, you have to take the train 3 hours each way and the cost is $100. You might be surprised by what they say.

25. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

u done / said that before?