Will Apple replace my battery at 85% capacity?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by puggles, Oct 15, 2018.

1. puggles macrumors regular

Applecare+ is about to expire on my 7+ and I’d like to keep this phone for at least another year. Will they replace my battery or does it actually have to be under 80%?

2. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

My friend was turned away at 84%, but he didn't have Apple Care, I don't know if that makes a difference. He wanted to get it changed for £25. Shortly after that, he traded it in for a Galaxy S9.

3. Sharkoneau macrumors 6502a

Sharkoneau

If you request a replacement, they should be obligated to fulfill that request without issue. I believe the charge for a replacement is $29 through the end of the year. If you want to avoid issues outright, try scheduling a repair via phone call, or hit up a support agent over chat.

4. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

They will deny replacing it under warranty unless it is 80% or under. If you pay the $29, they will do it no matter what condition

5. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

Apple did mine at 89% a couple of weeks ago for free. It did have performance mode disabled by me but the notification was still there... they tried to talk me out of it but I stood firm. It was only 10 months old.

6. Minho macrumors regular

Minho

You have nothing to lose by trying. As others have said, worse case you pay #29 which isn't much.

7. puggles thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. I thought the $29 was for when it was at 80%. I'll give it a shot!

8. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

9. Phil77354 macrumors regular

Phil77354

I can also confirm that Apple will replace your battery for $29 regardless of whether or not it is at 80%.

I was under the same misconception until a few weeks ago. It could be that some of the early reports regarding the battery replacement program gave the impression that it only applied to batteries with 80% or less capacity remaining, I don't recall exactly. Regardless, the $29 fee gets you a new battery irrespective of the condition of your current battery. Well worthwhile.